xiii.

Confronting Fears
Gaia

I could feel my hands trembling as I stood before Jidanbō revealing myself. It has been years, since I had seen his face, since I had spoken my name, since I had shown another person my face. Ichigo and the others stood in awe of me. I was a complete stranger to them.

"Liar. Madam Gaia Shiba was killed years ago. You are an imposter!" Jidanbō roared. He swung down at me with his axe and just as it was about to crash down on me, I raised my arm and blocked it with my wrist brace. The force caused sparks to fly every which direction before he lifted his axe and stepped back in shock.

"M-Madam. It really is you! Why did you fake your death?! Why did you leave the Soul Society in the dark?!"

I felt Ichigo's hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sure you had your reasons" he smiled. I nodded and looked back up at my old friend.

"Madam, a lot has changed since you left. Your brother abandoned his post in the Shiba Clan, but Kukaku and Ganju are all that's left."

I sighed thinking about my old family. It felt like it was lifetimes ago that I considered myself a part of the Shiba Clan. Since then Kisuke and everyone at the shop have been my family. Ichigo and Isshin have been my family.

"I'll let you pass Madam. Just be careful out there. The Captains are on edge because of the execution coming up." As he spoke Jidanbō lifted the immense gate door onto his back, holding it open for us to pass. Though on the other side of that gate, a face I hadn't seen since that fateful day.

"My, my, look who we have here. Jidanbō what exactly are you doing?" He sneered. I watched him glance over every person in our group before his eyes stopped on mine.

Gin.

His sly grin had dropped from his expression and his eyes opening slightly so I could see their icy blue color. I watched as he reached for his zanpakuto and uttered its release under his breath. The blade cut Jidanbō's arm clean off, and the weight of the door crashed on top off him. Without thinking I raced toward Gin, not considering the consequences, not considering the group of people I left behind.

As I skid to a halt the earth trembled as the door to the gate slammed on the ground behind me. I stood alone in front of who once was an old friend.

"Gaia Shiba. You're a sight fir sore eyes" he muttered. His hand still tightly gripped his sword, and my own threatened to unsheathe my weapon.

Oh the destruction I could cause if I could just find the strength to draw my sword.