xv.

Childhood
Gin Ichimaru

I remember my childhood in District 64 of Rukongai. It was there that I had met Rangiku Matsumoto, and it was there that I learned of the Shiba Clan. Long before I met Rangiku, I stumbled upon a girl walking through a dried up farm. Her clothing resembled that of nobility, and I could not forget her gold colored eyes.

"You don't seem like you're from around here miss" I called out to her. With that she laughed and took off running. Two years later I saw her again in the same field. This time she wore a black shihakusho with a sword held firmly in her hand.

As I approached the girl she stared into my eyes without saying a word. The gold color shined brighter than anything I had ever seen. She was enchanting.

"What's your name?" I asked her. She slid her blade back into its sheath and stepped closer.

"My name is Gaia Shiba. What is yours?"

In that moment I could tell she was strong. Far stronger than anyone I had ever encountered.

"You're from the Shiba Clan?" I questioned. She nodded and pulled a pendant out from her pocket. Engraved in the pendant was the symbol marking of the Shiba Clan.

"My older brother Isshin is the Head if the Clan. He doesn't let me out much. So sometimes I sneak away to North Rukongai where he can't find me."

Every two years I would meet Gaia in that field and we would talk about Soul Reapers and the Gotei 13. She spoke highly of her brother who would eventually become the Captain on Squad 10 by the time I made it in. Though after meeting Rangiku, Gaia vanished. I waited two years in that field for her to return and she never did.

When I graduated from the Shinō Academy I learned that she had taken a position with the Omnitsukaido, the Stealth Corps. I would occasionally see her out on missions but we never exchanged words. I grew angry at her for abandoning me, for ignoring me and leaving me behind.

That's when I began speaking of her to Aizen. He told me that he needed a Soul Reaper strong enough to withstand Hollowification, and one that could slip past the Central 46 unnoticed.

Gaia was the perfect subject.

Though after watching her in pain throughout the process, after taking away everything that made her who she was, I regretted ever bringing up her name. The look in her eyes as she began he transformation was haunting.

I remember standing behind her as Aizen and Kisuke Urahara clashed swords. In that moment deep down I wanted to run away with her. To hide her from what I did. Maybe I could convince her to trust me once again. Another part of me remembered my promise to Rangiku, and the times that Gaia had left me in the shadows.

I brushed a strand of hair behind her ear as I looked at her, a horned mask now taking shape over her face.

"I never meant to betray you Gaia." I whispered. I knew that the Gaia I was speaking to wasn't the one who gave mercy or forgiveness. The Hollowed Gaia was strong and ruthless. Though as I stepped back preparing to leave her, I could make out a single tear steaming down her cheek before it was locked away by her mask.

I'm so sorry Gaia.