²⁶partners & parades

chapter 26
❝ keep your crusty lips to yourself 

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"WHAT DO I GOTTA DO TO GET AN A in that class?" Amelia said in exasperation, shoving the last of her books into her locker. 

"I got an A," Luis bragged.

"I swear Séñor De Léon is just out to get me," she continued, ignoring him. "Like the oral presentations? I'm pretty sure my pronunciation is immaculate but no, apparently not."

He crinkled his nose and shook his head. "I've heard you practicing with Averman and Goldberg; it's really not, you know, coming from someone who's pronunciation is actually immaculate."

She scoffed. "Obviously, because you already know Spanish. I mean how is that even fair? You're put in the first level of Spanish yet you speak it fluently."

"Don't be upset with me just because you got a B minus."

"You're terrible," she said and put some of her textbooks into her backpack. She looked around the hallway before furrowing her eyebrows and looking back at the boy next to her. "Hey, where's Charlie and Fulton? I haven't seen them lately; we always cross paths at least once a day."

The boy sighed and scratched his head awkwardly. "They quit the team."

"What?" Amelia asked with her eyebrows raised. "But Charlie loves hockey."

"But he doesn't exactly love the coach."

She rolled her eyes. "And Fulton? He's like your best defenceman and he wasn't there to play last night?"

"Yeah, well that's why we also kind of bombed last night," he said.

"Yeah," she sighed. "I'm sure they'll come back once they think it through."

"Hopefully. So how'd Varsity do last night?"

She closed her locker and leaned back against the locker bank. "Pretty good; I mean we won, so that's always good."

The game itself was good, but the locker room situation was a little awkward for Amelia. Normally, the only person she was on good terms with was Adam―well she was on "good terms" with a lot of players, but she didn't really talk to them―but last night, the two didn't even talk beyond any pleasantries.

At least we weren't at each other's throats, she thought to herself. Maybe that would have been better.

"I heard about that. Good job," he said.

"Thanks," she murmured mindlessly, not really paying much attention to the conversation.

Instead her eyes scanned through the hall and landed on Adam by his locker talking to two cheerleaders. She stared for a little too long and turned to see Luis looking at her.

"Wanna make him jealous?" Luis offered.

She playfully rolled her eyes and shrugged casually. "Entertain me, Mendoza."

He looked surprised for a quick second before recovering and quickly leaning in. She put her hand on his chest and pushed him away before the two started walking on their way to their next classes.

"Dude, I was just kidding," she said. "Keep your crusty lips to yourself."

He scoffed. "Good, it's not like I even wanted to kiss you."