³⁰chicken dinner

chapter 30 」
❝ just because season's over, doesn't mean you can become a drug addict 

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

TO SAY COACH WILSON WAS UPSET WITH THE LOSS against JV was an understatement. Their practice was way more intense than usual and the last time Amelia remembered being checked that hard and that much, was their first game against Iceland.

She sat down on the bench and laced up her shoes before leaning over and pulling her backpack out of her cubby, letting it knock into her shins as she set it onto the ground. She rubbed her aching knee and rolled out her ankles.

Pulling out painkillers and a water bottle, she carefully tilted the bottle to let one out onto her hand and swallowed it down with her water.

"Popping pills, are we?"

She looked up to find Rick leaning against the locker bank and rolled her eyes playfully.

"They're just painkillers and I only took one," she said. "Haven't even started with Oxycontin or Vicodin yet. Statistically speaking, I've still got a little before I become addicted."

"What do you need painkillers for?" he asked.

"Pain," she answered as if it were obvious―which it pretty much was.

He rolled his eyes and said, "Obviously; what pain?"

"We're athletes, Riley, we're obviously gonna have some sort of pain."

"As your captain," he started with a cocky attitude and she scoffed, rolled her eyes, and chuckled, "I need to communicate with my team. I gotta be aware of anything that'll affect your playing."

She raised her eyes and pursed her lips, putting the pills back into her bag and swinging it over her shoulders and standing up.

"It's just growing pains and it won't affect my playing," she said.

"Okay, but the moment it does—"

"It won't."

He was about to say something before closing his mouth and tapping on the locker bank as she started combing out her hair.

"You finished the art history essay yet?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Almost, why?"

He hesitated to answer and she looked over at him in amusement.

"You wanna say something?" she teased.

"I—I . . . need help," he stated hesitantly.

She hummed with her lips pursed, stalling to annoy him.

"Wow, is Rick Riley asking me for help?"

Rick scoffed. "Nevermind, I'll figure it out myself."

"Fine, thirty dollars for a C paper, forty for a B, and fifty for an A," she deadpanned.

"What?"

"You're rich, I know you have the money."

"I don't want to pay you to write the essay for me, I just need help."

She rolled her eyes. "Ask your brother to help you; he's good with writing and stuff."

"He doesn't take the class though."

Cole walked over to the two in blocky, bulky Cole-like fashion.