Chapter Fourteen

Charlene's POV

I believe that the most valuable things in life are the ones you can't buy with a green piece of paper. They're the memories you share with the people you care about. They're things like your Dad's old journal, or your grandma's favorite bracelet. They're the things that are irreplaceable, because no new notebook or bracelet could ever give back the moments that came with the old ones.

For me, it's an old, rusty swing in the corner of a playground.

Ricky interlaced his fingers with mine, and stared at me with a small smile. We both stood in front of the now bronze swing set, surrounded by the orange leaves that had fallen on the ground.

"When we were 5 we met right in this very spot. I remember, Francesca and I were playing hide and seek, and the first place I ran to was this swing set. I saw you flying up into the air, and being the clueless little boy I was, thought it would be a great idea to hide behind you while you were still swinging." Ricky laughed, his small dimples appearing on either side of his face. I let out a loud laugh, remembering what happened next.

"My swing hit you in the face, and you fell into a pit of mud. I remember seeing you crying and jumping off my swing, only to fall into the mud with you. Francesca found us and laughed at your face, so I pulled her into the mud with us." I laughed, throwing my head back. I grabbed his arm, and we both sat on a swing.

"Little did I know, I would end up with a black eye and a new best friend." Ricky said, grinning to the ground. He turned his head to me.

"Do you regret meeting me?" He asked, curiosity in his voice. I turned my head, and opened my mouth to answer, but quickly shut it.

Did I regret meeting Ricky? What kind of person would I be if I hadn't sat on the swing that day? I wouldn't be friends with the Garcias, Evan, or Jon. I wouldn't be here with him right now.

"I mean, its okay if you do. I wouldn't blame you." Ricky mumbled, throwing his head down.

"No." I stated simply. I turned my head to look at him. His head jolted up in surprise.

"No?" His eyebrow shot up in confusion.

"No, I don't regret meeting you." I said, giving Ricky reassurance.

"Why not? I made you miserable for the past 4 years. Even I hate me right now." He mumbled the last part.

"Ricky, sure, you did make me miserable for the last 4 years. Sure, you did cheat on me, and make me feel worthless for a certain amount of time. But you did give me happiness for 8 of them, and I would never, in a billion years, change any part of those years. I don't regret meeting you, becoming friends with you, or even dating you. If any of those things didn't happen, I wouldn't be the person I am now, and neither of us would be sitting on this swing in this very moment. You changed my life, Ricky."

Ricky stared directly in my eyes, probably caught in his own thoughts.

"I'm sorry things happened the way they did, Charlene. I'm truly, really sorry. I'm not just saying it because I have to, which I do. I'm saying it because I will never stop reminding myself how much of a jerk I was to do that to you." He said shaking his head to himself. I could tell he was genuinely sorry by his eyes. They turn darker whenever he's sad or angry. He's like an open book to me.

"You know, I believe that, sometimes, people deserve second chances. Ricky, you're not the same guy you were six months ago. I don't know, you're just different, in a good way. And if you're trying to better yourself, then I don't see why you don't deserve one." I swung a bit in the air, smiling as I pass him. His lips slowly turned into a small smile, revealing his dimples.