Chapter Nineteen

Charlene's POV

The last few days of the year are meant to be ones filled with joyful memories and cheer. I like to think of them as an annual closure. Whether or not you had a good year, you make the last few days worth remembrance, just so you could say that you left it on a good note.

I'm glad I could say that my year is going to have a happy ending. Yeah, I fell like a million times in the past three months. Yeah, I was part of a fight that resulted in someone getting their face punched. Yeah, I kind of ruined Christmas dinner with my stupid sarcasm. But at least I got to do those things with special people, my four best friends. Francesca, Evan, Jon, and Ricky.

Oh, Ricky. Now, he was someone who was a very big part of my year. From putting me in a state of temporary insanity, to sweeping me off my feet (literally), I could truthfully say he was my favorite part of 2016.

Today is December 30, meaning it is the second to last day of the year. It's pretty much the last regular day of the year, since tomorrow everybody will be partying, so the five of us figured, what better way to end the year off than with an afternoon in the city?

It was now 12, and the four of them were going to be here any minute now so we could head over to the subway together. Just as I checked the clock, my phone buzzed from my bed. I walked over to see that it was a text from Evan. I swiped my finger on my phone, revealing his message.

We'll be there in 1 minute. You better be ready or else :) - Little Evan

"Or else."

Crap.

That was never a good sign. The last time that came from one of my friends, I almost broke a rib. It's a long story.

I quickly threw on a pair of riding boots, and my warm anorak jacket. I tugged on my scarf, and grabbed my bag and my new DSLR camera (I finally got to open my presents a few days ago). Starting now, I wanted to capture every special moment that came my way. I have a feeling i'm going to have a lot of them next year. I wrapped the strap around my neck, and darted down the stairs. I could practically feel their presence outside the house. We just have a connection like that. Or maybe it was just because I could already hear their freakishly loud voices from inside. I bolted past the living room, having a little count down with my every step.

3

I headed towards the door, their bickering getting louder.

2

I grabbed the knob, twisting it backward.

"1." I mumbled to myself, as I opened the door, revealing four idiots posing in different positions. Francesca was in the process of getting on Jon's back, but from the looks of it, she just looked like she was about to kick his butt. Evan had his arms crossed in front of his chest, making him look like a wannabe thug, which isn't even possible because, let's face it, Evan was the least intimidating person to have walked on the planet. I swear I've seen babies more frightening than him. And then there was Ricky, as usual, leaning on the side of my door with that cheeky smirk on his face. Just how I liked him. I rolled my eyes at them, shaking my head at how stupid they were.

"You guys are so fabulous." I chuckled, stepping out of the door and locking it.

"You know it." Jon said, wrapping his arm around Francesca's shoulder.

We walked down the porch, and down the sidewalk. The sky way pretty gloomy, and I wasn't sure whether it was going to rain or snow. The nearest subway was right next to the park, which was pretty close to my house, so I bet we'd make it to the station before the weather hits us. In about 10 minutes, we were already passing through the park.