Chapter Twenty Four

Julia's POV:

Julia's POV:

I have never been in Stephanie's parents' house. Nor in their estate. The place is huge. There are more guests here for the after party as the actual wedding, and I don't think Stephanie minds. The newly wedded couple are dancing on the dance floor, enjoying them self completely, 

Automatically my eyes start searching the place and they land on Hunter who is lazily sitting in one of the arm chairs on the other side of the room. He has a whiskey glass in his hand, swirling the liquid around and watching it, his eyes showing his boredom. I bite my lip, pushing the thoughts of him being attractive to the far corners of my mind. I grab my wine glass from the table I left it at and make my way towards him.

It would be the first time in weeks when I finally talk to him again. I try to gather confidence on my way towards him, but it felt too soon when I stood in front of him. He looks at me with a raised brow and I bite my lip again. What to say?

"Uh, nevermind," I turn around to leave but stop and turn to face him again. "Why didn't you tell me that you were in trouble?" I ask finally and he smiles lazily. "Why do you care all of sudden?" He murmurs back. He is being sarcastic. It never suited him. "Don't start with me, Hunter." He raises from the seat and steps forward, so that he is a mere few inches away from me. 

"I wasn't the one leading you on and leaving," He mutters and I glare at him. "Yeah? Well, I am not the one in a serious relationship." I grit out bitterly and his eyes light up with amusement. He throws his head back and lets out a loud laugh before meeting my eyes again, "Serious relationship?" He repeats and I nod my head, standing my ground. "I left her! She's a fucking cheater, Julia!" He raises his voice and I flinch back, a memory flashing through my mind.

Realization flashes through his eyes and before I can comprehend what is happening, he embraces me in a tight hug. Not a single word is being utter and I feel something slide down my cheek. Am I crying? I can feel his breath in my hair on top of my head and I sniff, trying to stop the sudden urge to cry hysterically. It's just a memory, goddammit.

He pulls back and looks at me, his eyes softer now. "I am sorry," He whispers and I wipe at my tears, the usual anger I feel for myself when I cry isn't there. He noticed it too. "It's fine," I mutter and cross my arms over my chest. "You looked beautiful at the wedding today." He smiles, and I know it is his way to try and make me feel better. I open my mouth to thank him, but my phone's buzzing stops me.

I pull it out from my back pocket and check the caller ID. It's Justin. 

I feel confused as I stare at the screen and Hunter speaks up, "Are you going to answer that?" I look at him before swiping the screen and holding the phone to my ear. "Is that your boyfriend, Jules?" I feel a shiver run down my spine and start looking around. My eyes lands on each face, but none seems to match his features. "Where are you?" I ask softly into the speaker, my eyes meeting Hunter's confused and worried ones. 

"I am close, but not too close." I hear him chuckle, "An old friend asked for my help here and I thought I'd come to say hi." His voice is bitter, "You seem occupied." My eyes is still searching and I see a dark figure outside one of the windows, "How did you even get in her-" My question is stopped short when the music gets cut and an alarm rings through the mansion. 

"Everyone! I need your attention!" Stephanie's dad, Hans, speaks from on top of the stairs, "I need you to stay calm and head to the back door." A lot of murmuring and whispering is happening around me, and Justin had already ended the call, but my eyes never left the window where the dark figure is still standing. "Are we going to die?!" Someones screams and Hans speaks up again, but I start to move to the window. "Nobody will die! All keep calm, please. The police is being contacted." His voice is droned out as I focus on the window. My eyebrows scrunch together and I feel a pull on my arm.

"Julia," Hunter grabs my arm and I turn to face him. "Someone is here." He nods his head, "Yeah, I know, why else would the alarm go off?" He frowns in utter confusion and I shake my head, "No, Hunter. Someone I know is here. I smell trouble." He looks at me, before walking to my side. "Well, you're not facing it alone. Not again." I stare at him before speaking again,

"Hunter, I don't think you understand," His eyes travels to the window and I look too, the figure now gone. "Hell, I don't even understand." I whisper and I feel him grasp my hand in his. "Julia, I made a mistake once and I am sure as hell not repeating it." His eyes are intense and I have to look down. "Tell me, who could it be?" I look back at him and I open my mouth to speak, but a loud bang silences me. 

Gunshot.