10

I tossed and turned in my bed with my arms feeling across the now empty side of the mattress, 
I sighed and shook my head trying to clear my thoughts of what could've been and what isn't.

it was late and i just didn't know what to do now that i was awake, i closed my eyes and cuddled my pillow close to my chest as i took in deep breaths before calming down enough to drift into sleep...

I tossed and turned in my bed with my arms feeling across the now empty side of the mattress. When I realised what this meant, I sighed out off irritation. This was night number- I've forgotten how many nights that my boyfriend didn't spend next to me in bed, but rather in his office. I clicked my tongue and stared at the ceiling, pondering over what i should do next. I eventually mustered up the will to get out of bed, put on my bathrobe and stride off to the office.

I passed through the olden oak wood door and found him. There he was hunched over his new project, a cream light coming from the table, illuminating the dimly lit room. I puffed out my cheeks and walked over to my boyfriend, putting my arms around his neck, rubbing his collarbone and chest. Alastor did not show any sign that he noticed my presence, no movement whatsoever, he was focused on what he was doing as usual. I've known him long enough to know that he notices my presence though. He would softly tap his foot on the ground, or hummed a certain tune. I stared out in front of me, not really knowing what to do.

" Al, baby, come back to bed."
" I'm still working on this right now, my darling."

Alastor kept fiddling with the piece of paper in front of him that was emitting the cream light. This had been going on for months now. Alastor would always be away from home and when he was home, he'd spend his time in his office. Sleeping in there instead of in his bedroom. Next to me. I bit down on my teeth. 

" Come on, sweetpea."
Alastor just shook his head 'NO'

It's like whenever he reaches a certain point, a new discovery, it's not good enough for him. He keeps going and doesn't stop. It's like he's never satisfied with what he has, I barely even know what hes writing about in there.
Alas, I tried again.

" Sweetpea, the sun is about to come up.  You need your sleep y'know?"

" Klawn, I know. I just need to work on this a bit more so please stop harassing me..."

A pause ensued between the two of us. Alastor focused again on his parchment and me not knowing what to say. A thought came to my mind, a question, one that I have been meaning to ask Alastor for weeks now. But i held off in hopes that he would realise on his own what was happening. Clearly, my hopes had gone down the drain. And so, i just dropped it.

" Why do you work like your running out of time, huh?" I asked with furrowed brows

Alastor's fingers kept on fidgeting with the fancy ink pen that was twirling around in between his fingers with his gaze fixated on what he was working on.

I breathed in and out deeply, I am supposed to be used to this.
" I can handle this..." I muttered under my breath.

i stopped hanging my arms around his neck and rested your hands on his shoulders, now looking down at him.

" Come back to bed, I miss you, sweetpea." I begged once more in a serious tone. 

I had long given up on the sad, begging tone and taught myself to be more stern and serious with Alastor when I wanted something from him. But Al, as always, was stubborn and persistent. I've never managed to crack him, persuade him to leave his work and come join me in bed. And I didn't think this would be the first time.