9

~
Nikiya
~

It was lunch and I was sitting with Mara and Ellie. Billie drove me to school this morning and I haven't seen her since first period. She was being kind of standoff-ish ever since she woke up, and I was pretty sure it had to do with the phone call she received last night.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Mara shouted my name, snapping her fingers in my face, "Niki!"

"Sorry," I sighed before taking a bite out of my apple.

"What's wrong?" Ellie asked, furrowing her brows.

"Yeah, and where's Billie? I miss her," Mara added.

My god, does she ever shut up?

"I'm fine Ellie... and I don't know, Mara, I'm not her keeper," I said with a hint of annoyance.

Mara rolled her eyes, "well, I need to spend as much time with her as possible before I tell her about my feelings. Do you guys think it's obvious to her that I like her?"

"Uh, yes—"

"Your feelings?" I asked, interrupting Ellie. "Mara, you have a crush on a new person every week."

"Obviously my feelings are deeper than that for Billie... jeez Niki, do you like her or something?"

Ellie rolled her eyes at Mara's oblivion before I quickly denied her accusations.

"No, I just don't think you should say you have feelings for her if you're going to be onto the next bitch in a couple days."

"What the fuck, Niki!" She exclaimed, "you're supposed to be my friend, and help me with shit like this!"

"Guys, stop fucking arguing. Don't talk about Billie anymore, that's it, you're banned from that topic." Ellie declared, attempting to ease the tension.

Mara's glare turned to a mischievous smile, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

The fuck she smiling for?

"Oh, great," Ellie mumbled.

As if on cue, Billie walked up to us and slid into the seat beside me. She pulled out her lunch in silence before looking around at all of us.

I was scowling at my phone, Ellie was eating uncomfortably, and Mara was holding her face in the palm of her hand as she leaned on her elbow, smiling at Billie.

Billie smirked at her before chuckling lightly, "yo Mara, what's up?"

"Nothin," she grinned, "where were you?"

"Had to finish up some extra shit," she shrugged before looking over at me. I kept my gaze down, fixated on my phone as I scrolled through instagram.

She nudged my shoulder, "hey you."

I internally cursed her out for choosing to acknowledge me now, after basically ignoring me earlier. I looked up from my phone for a second, giving her that awkward white people smile, "hey."