19. Jonathan

I was just about to tell my story when a noise disturbed the night's peace. Someone seemed to be creeping around our camp. Sparse I could make out shapes, and as my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realized...

"A dog? A stray?" The others were no less stunned by the sight of the small, brown, curly animal. "Oh... ...a puppy. "Tamora stood up and slowly approached the intruder. "Oh... you sweet... all alone?" But he was not alone. A figure emerged from the thicket. It was a man slightly shorter than David, with blond hair and a dark goatee and... "A guitar!" I cheered enthusiastically. I was a friend of this musical instrument, because I myself had been playing it for a long time and loved it. Now the stranger turned in my direction. At first he just looked at me questioningly, as if he wasn't the one who had just appeared out of nowhere. "Yes ... that's a guitar? ... Um... excuse me for disturbing the peace at night, ladies and gentlemen", he drove embarrassed over the pointed bard. "But we saw the light and wanted to look around a bit more closely and the closer we came, the clearer a wonderful voice became. It told a story so heartbreaking and heroic that I couldn't help but overhear. ... May I introduce myself, my name is Richard Kingsfield", he announced politely and stepped closer to the fireplace, the dog followed shyly. Then he bowed deeply. When he rose again he looked around and asked: "This lovely voice, to whom does it belong?"

I was flabbergasted, just shocked. For one thing, because... my voice should be wonderful and sweet? And then there was David's grin, not really, of course, but I felt as if he was doing it. I took a breath, but the man with the goatee was faster. "Now then, let me guess. only a young lady as beautiful as you could produce such an enchanting timbre," he smiled and bowed to Tamora again. "Isn't that right, Mademoiselle?" I could have pinched myself to see how real this situation was. But for the time being, I stood there stupidly, not wanting to believe that my voice was that of a woman!