Chapter 21

Working on our project in music ended up being very difficult. For some reason, Kyle had decided to give me attitude for the entire rest of the day. He scoffed at everything I said and rolled his eyes so much, I thought they would just roll right out of the sockets.

It was like, over the past few weeks we had taken a few steps forward and then all of a sudden, we had taken a bajillion steps back.

He was truly insufferable.

I tried my best to ignore him, as I sat at the piano and worked on the melody for our song. James was writing down everything I was doing, while Kyle aimlessly scrolled through his phone. I could tell he wasn't actually paying attention to it, he was in fact, just being a little prick.

I abruptly stopped playing and angrily turned to face Kyle.

"Are you gonna do anything?!" My words were seeped in annoyance. 

To be honest, I didn't really get why Kyle ignoring me seemed to annoy me so much.

He looked up from his screen and after a few seconds, he spoke up.

"Nah, you and lover boy seem to have everything under control." He immediately looked back down at his phone. The nerve.

James looked between the two of us, then cleared his throat. I took that as a sign for me to keep playing. 

"I had a few ideas for the verse and pre-chorus." I said, making it super obvious that I was only addressing James.

"Oh cool, let's hear them." He smiled a smile that could make anyone fall in love.

I started playing the slow melody.

"If time could stop, for the two of us
I'd stay here, right in your arms
We'd hide away, from all we know
You'd be here, you wouldn't let go

But it can't, and it won't and it's not your fault
You'll be there, I'll be here, we'll talk all night long - "

I noticed that I had managed to get Kyle to look up from his phone. Victory.

"Um, then we'd just go to that chorus we wrote the other day." I said.

James literally threw his arms around me and held me in a tight hug, repeating the words 'you're a genius' and 'these lyrics are amazing'. I started blushing like crazy and muttered a shy thank you. 

I usually wasn't this bashful and would always accept compliments on my songwriting, because I knew that was my talent, but hearing the words from James had a different effect on me.

~~~~~~~

A little while later, James excused him self, and went to the bathroom, leaving Kyle and I alone.

Hey! That would be a great title for the song.

He interrupted my thoughts by coming closer and leaning over to read the lyrics I had written. I couldn't help but notice, his cologne was a lot more subtle than the first time we had met. Now that there was less of it, I discovered I actually liked it.

"It'd sound better if you said, we'll talk on the phone, instead of all night long. If this is about a long distance relationship you need to consider timezones, Carter." He said matter-of-factly.

I hated to admit it, but he was right, it worked better. I tried my best to look unimpressed, but he was a good lyricist and and he obviously knew it.

Kyle gently moved me along, so he was now in the centre, playing the piano. He started out with the melody I had initially been playing, then he started spicing it up, adding so much depth to the music.

"If time could stop, for the two of us
You'd stay here, right in my arms
We'd hide away, from all we know
You'd be here, we wouldn't let go

But it can't, and it won't and it's not your fault
You'll be there, I'll be here, we'll talk all night long 
You will cry, I will shake, cause we're so far gone
It's a love, and a life, cut apart by time

In another world
You and I are dancing in our kitchen
Singing out our favourite songs
Oh how much I wish that
You would look at me like I'm everything
I'd tell you 'I love you'
And you would say it back
No hesitation"

Why did he have to be such a good musician.

"Sounds good, Kyle." Our teacher had decided to step into the room right at that very seconds, and he seemed to be giving credit to Kyle for my lyrics. Okay so Kyle had made it sound better, but I had written the bulk of it.

"Thanks man, I call it Another World." He said, winking at me.

This dumb bitch was truly audacious, giving our song a title, without consulting James and I.

"It's got a nice ring to it." Scott said, walking away before I could even say that we hadn't decided on a name. 

I was about to rip into Kyle, when James walked back in. 

"What did I miss?"

"I'm coming on the carnival trip!" Kyle responded, surprising both James and I.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey! Here's an update! Please pretend my lyrics are as good as the characters make them seem lol I'm not a songwriter

Lemme tell you, it's about to get juicy! I decided I'm gonna try and give a bit more substance to James and Annabelle's relationship, seeing as it's been Kyle and Annabelle for the past few chapters lol

So yeah, wait a lil before you decide if you're team Kyle or team James because James might just steal your heart!

Stay safe! Drink Water! Wash your hands! Wear a mask! and practise social distancing!!!