Chapter 14

On the way to the Cameron's house I dropped the compass off with Kiara at the police station. John B called her to bail him out.

After I went to Tannyhill, but to talk to Sarah about what had happened with John B. I open the front door and head up to Sarah's room. I knock on her bedroom door. She opens it, inviting me in.

"Is your brother here?" I ask sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Yeah, he's in his room. Why?"

"I left this morning to help the Pogues with something."

"Yeah, I know. I remember."

"Well, I met them somewhere to help and then we separated and I went with John B."

"Okay? I'm not sure I'm following." Sarah says honestly.

"John B kissed me." I cut straight to the point.

"What?" She whispers. "Did you kiss him back?"

"Briefly, yeah." I look away from her. "Look, it didn't mean anything."

"I believe you, Mila. You're gonna have to tell Rafe. Just be honest with him and it'll probably go better then if he found out himself."

"Right." My voice wavers in fear.

"It'll be okay." She places a hand on my shoulder. "Look, I have to go somewhere. I'll be back later tonight. Let me know how it goes."

I nod. "Okay, see you later." I hug the girl before she makes her way downstairs while I head to Rafe Cameron's room.

I open the door, quietly stepping in. I hear his shower running. I decide to sit on his bed and wait for him to come out.

He comes out a couple minutes later. A cloud of steam rolls out of the bathroom as he steps into his bedroom, a towel wrapped loosely around his waist.

"Hey, gorgeous." He smiles, walking toward me. He leans in to press a kiss to my lips. I turn my head so he kisses my cheek. "What's wrong?"

"I need to talk to you."

His smile drops. "Okay?"

"Can you, uh... get dressed?" I ask seriously.

"Mila, what's the matter?" He cups my face in his hands.

"I made a mistake and I need you to stay calm."

"Mila..."

"Please just get dressed." I beg.

He walks over to his dresser, pulling out some clothes. He quickly gets dressed before heading back over to me. He grabs my hands, sitting down next to me on the bed.

"Mi, talk to me. We can work this out."

"That's the thing, what if we can't?"

"Mila, I'm not going anywhere." He cups my face in one of his hands.

I stand up, moving away from him. "I think I cheated on you."

Rafe looks away, a confused look crosses his face. "What?"

I explain the story of John B and I.

"It meant nothing, to either of us. I promise. But I didn't pull away right away."

Rafe stands. I could tell he was angry. He walks toward me, I back up against the wall. He slams his hand on the wall next to my head. I flinch, closing my eyes.

"Mila, look at me." I open my eye but avoid eye contact. "Mila!" I break, looking at him. He presses a lingering kiss to my lips. "You're mine, do you understand?" His voice drops really low.

"I- um-"

"Mila." His voice softens. "I'm not mad."

He reach up to cups his face. "You're not?"

"No. And I know John B doesn't know we're a thing, I won't do anything to him."

"Promise?" I whisper.

"Yes, baby." I suck in a breath. He'd never called me that before. I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him into a deep kiss. His hands wrap around my waist, pulling me against him.

I feel tears burn in my eyes. I let out a sob as my knees buckle. I was overflowing with guilt. I hated myself for how I made John B feel. And I hated myself for cheating on Rafe, I loved him, a lot. Rafe sinks to the ground with me.

"Mi?"

"I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry!" I bury my face in my hands.

"Mila, stop." He begs desperately. Rafe pulls me into his lap so I'm straddling him. "Look at me. It's okay. Listen, I know you didn't mean it. I know you care about me."

I nod along to his words. "More than anything."

"But uh, you do understand that you are mine?" He teases.

I let out a light giggle, a small smile breaks out on my face. "I know, Cameron."

"Good." He presses a lingering kiss to my lips. I smile against his lips, cupping his face. "God, you're adorable."

"So are you, Cameron."

"Stay the night? I'm boating with Sarah and Top tomorrow, I want you there."

"Sure."