Chapter 16

I walk down the Beach with the Kooks

I walk down the Beach with the Kooks. We pick up trash with trash grabbers, putting it into plastic bags. I still felt very guilty about what I had done to the Pogues and about lying to Rafe. I knew that John B wouldn't forgive me.

"You should've heard the way John B talked to me." Sarah says to her boyfriend. "That boy's got a mouth on him."

"Well, he showed his true colors, Sarah."

"He was so rude!"

"I know! It's what I've been trying to tell you. I mean he's luck your dad didn't press charges."

"I know! After stealing scuba from us? It's just... kinda ridiculous to me." My eyes widen at her works. I was the one that used the scuba gear. "After everything my dad has done for him. Just so generous, you'd think he'd be more grateful."

"I know."

"Then he yells at me like it's my fault!"

"Dramatic, huh?" Rafe leans close and whispers in my ear.

I look up at him with a smile on my face. I shake my head at him. He pulls me away from the other couple.

"They're about to start trash talking Pogues, aren't they?"

"Probably."

"Aw, look at you being protective boyfriend." I tease.

He jokingly pushes me away from him. "Stop, Mi." He laughs.

We continue to pick up more trash on the beach. I use my trash picker to pick up an old sock. "Hey, babe?"

"Yeah?" Rafe looks over at me. I throw the sock at him with the picker. It hits him in the chest, leaving a wet mark on his polo. "Ew, Mila!" He picks up the sock with his own trash picker. He tosses it over to me. I step out of the way, dodging it. "Shit!"

I let out a laugh, running at my boyfriend. He drops his tools and scoops me up, bridal style. I squeal as me feet leave the ground. He presses a kiss to the side of my head.

"Cameron, we have to keep working." I giggle.

"Well, what if I want my girl to myself right now?"

"Later." I say.

"Fine." He places me back on the ground. He presses a quick kiss to my lips before we make our way back over to Sarah and Topper.

"Where'd you guys disappear to?" Sarah asks.

"Oh, we just kept working while you guys trash talked my best friend." I state.

"Oh, shit. Mila, I'm sor-"Sarah says.

"It's fine." I cut her off.

Kelce walk up to us, interrupting our conversation. He catches our attention, calling out to us.

"Okay, what do we got here?" Topper asks eyeing the water bottle Kelce has.

"Have some of that, baby." Kelce hands Topper the water bottle.

Topper screws the lid off the bottle and sniffs the liquid inside. "Oh my god." Kelce laughs as Topper takes a sip of the drink.

"Yeah! That's how we do it baby!" Kelce cheers.

"Oh, man. Come on, Sarah." Topper hands the water bottle over to Sarah, encouraging his girlfriend to take a drink.

Sarah takes a drink, making a face. "What did you do to this?"

"He's not playin' around." Topper informs her.

"You, Rafe?" Kelce points at the drink.

"Oh, no. I gotta get the girlfriend home." Rafe answers, he wraps an arm around my shoulder.

Sarah takes another sip of the drink. Wheezie grabs the drink from Sarah, taking a sip.

Sarah makes a noise, trying to get the girl to stop.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Topper says.

Rafe takes the water bottle out of her hand.

"Since when did you start drinking?" Sarah asks.

"Since today!" Wheezie chirps.

"Wow." Kelce says shocked.

"Great going, Kelce." Sarah takes the drink from her brother and hands it back to Kelce.

"You guys got it under control?" A man asks, walking by us on the beach. He watches us as he passes by.

"Yes sir! Looking good sir!" Topper responds quickly.

"We're good, hydrating." I tell the man.

"Almost finished!" Sarah adds.

"Great job! Keep it up!" The man calls out.

"Thank you!" Topper calls back.

After we finished cleaning the man gathers us all in a circle. "Just a moment, friends, to acknowledge our blessings." We all grab hands. "To the big Kahuna..."

I look over at Rafe. "The what?" I mouth. He raises his eyebrows at, smirking.

"Thank you for the opportunity for us to come out here and restore Masonborough to its virgin glory. Amen."

"Did he really just talk about big Kahunas and virgins?" I whisper to the boy next to me.

"Um, I believe he did." Rafe answers.