Chapter 31

JJ pulls up in front of Barry's house, a place I had been just a few nights before. I didn't tell anyone about the events that had taken place here.

"Welcome to Crackhead Wasteland." Kie says, looking outside.

"I don't know about this, man." Pope mumbles, anxiously. "Dude, why are we at Barry's?"

"This'll only takes a second." JJ puts the car in park before getting out.

"Where are you going?" John B questions through the open window. Pope opens the back door, watching his friend approach the house.

"Yo soy justicia."

"Did you glean anything from that?" Pope asks.

"I mean, at least he remembers something from Spanish class." I point out.

"You know someone should probably-"

"Yeah, I got it." John B gets out of the front seat and follows JJ into the house.

"What is he doing?" Sarah asks.

"We don't ever truly know." I point out.

"Probably nothing good." Pope adds.

A couple minutes later JJ comes out of the house with a blue duffel bag. Shortly following, John B steps out of the house.

"Sorry about that, y'all." JJ announces.

"So that's what we're doing now?" Kie asks incredulously. "We're robbing drug dealers?"

"This Barry guy's gonna find us." Sarah speaks up. "And he's gonna come after us."

"Yeah, he will. This is not the time to start wilin' out." Pope agrees, stern.

"How'd you like having a gun pulled on you?" JJ demands.

"Relax." John B says, pushing the blonde a step back.

JJ puts two fingers up, indicating where the gun had been pointing at John B. "He had it right here on you, bro."

"Look," John B starts. "We've gotta go get this gold, okay? Just give me that shit." John B grabs the bag out of JJ's hand, making him flip out. "We're putting it back." JJ slams John B against his van. "Do you feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?"

"We punch him in the throat." JJ seethes in John B face.

"Yeah, good fuckin' idea, JJ."

"I'm not putting it back." JJ states, taking the bag back. He gets into the back of the van, sitting on the makeshift bench. "You guys getting in or what?"

We all just stare at the boy. Nobody reacts toward the boys actions. JJ let's out a loud sigh before climbing back out of the van.

"What?" He demands.

"We're suck of your shit." John B states.

"Oh, my shit?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Your shit."

"Yes." Kie agrees. "Your pulling guns on people shit."

"You acting like a maniac-"

"Pope." I say cutting my brother off.

"Pope, I took the fall for you, man!" JJ exclaims. "Know how much money I owe because of you?"

"I'm gonna pay your back, and I didn't ask you to do that!"

"I just did!" JJ yells. "Pay it back." Popes face drops, a nervous look crossing his face. "Right here, right now, by myself. You know what? That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Go off by myself." JJ grabs the bag he had left in the car. He begins to walk away from the rest of us.

"JJ!" I call after him. "JJ, come back!"

John B grabs my arm gently. "Just let him go."

"What, why?" I ask.

"Just give him time to cool off. He'll come back." John B tells me.

I sigh, knowing he was right. "Okay."

We all reluctantly get in the car. An awkward silence fills the air.

"Hey, can you drop me off at the country club?" I ask.

"Why?" Kie questions.

"That's where Rafe tends to hangout." Sarah tells her.

John B complies to my request and drops me off at the club. I say my quick goodbyes before heading toward the building. I open the front door and walk up to the front desk.

"Um, miss?" The lady at the desk catches my attention. I look up at her, with my eyebrows raised in question. "Are you sure you're in the right place?"

"Yes. I'm a guest of the Cameron family." I inform her.

"Let me double check on that."

"You don't need to." I get the attention of the other person behind the counter. The man turns around, looking at me. "You know who I am, correct?"

"Yes, this is Rafe Cameron's girlfriend."

"I'll just double check the name."

"I've been here before. Can I please just go inside and see Rafe? Look it's been a rough day and I just wanna see him."

"Sorry, ma'am. Name?"

"Mila Heyward."

I wait impatiently as she checks the system. She takes what feels like forever.

"ID please." I hand over my drivers liscencs. She stares at me a moment, comparing me to the photo on the card. "Alright, go ahead."