Chapter 42

The sheriff opens the back door, letting us out of the back of a cop car. He had taken us to a big filled with tons of people, police officers, and SBI agents were everywhere. There was even photographers and reporters with their cars, everywhere. Their were tents filled with these people and machines.

Shoupe leads us into one of the tents, making a sit down in chairs lining the wall.

"Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about." Shoupe demands. He turns to another officer, looking him in the eye. "Keep an eye on these kids."

"Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro." An officer announces from another tent. "And all other inlets from Shem Creek to  Breach inlet. I want eyes on all coastal access points, people. Let's get this guy!"

"They're gonna get him." I mumble.

"Have some hope, Mila." JJ says turning to me. His eyes soften as they meet my worries ones. I nod at him.

An eruption of sirens sound from outside the tent. Screams and shouts echo in the air. I flinch as someone runs into us from the outside of the tent.

"What the hell is going on?" I turn to my friends.

"They found him." Pope answers.

"Shit." I breathe out.

I try to listen to everything that was happening outside. Though, nothing made sense because of the chaos and the overwhelming noises. I still only hear loud yells and sirens. I sigh, leaning against the back of my chair.

After waiting for what feels like forever, Shoupe comes into the tent with a group of officers. The pull off their hoods, approaching us. We stand up, expecting an update.

"Did you find them?" Pope asks.

Shoupe his head, his face dropping. "No."

"So, they got away?" Kie asks hopefully, looking between the four of us.

Shoupe looks at the ground, avoiding eye contact with us. My heart pounds in my chest. I knew he was about to give us bad news. A loud clap of thunder fills the silence.

"We, uh.. we lost them. I'm sorry."

"You lost them?" Pope questions, frustrated. "What do you mean you lost them? Like they're gone?" What are you talking about?"

"Pope.." I try. Tears burn in my eyes, threatening to spill over.

"They took an open boat into tropical depression, Pope." Shoupe shakes his head again.

"So, they're dead?" Kie asks sadly.

"We don't know."

The tears spill over as I muffle a sob in my hand. I drop to my knees, heart broken.

JJ steps toward the cop angrily. He swings his fists at the cop, hitting him. "You drove them right into that storm!" JJ shouts angrily. "Are you kidding me? Come here.I'm gonna kill you! I'm gonna kill you, you bastard!"

"JJ stop!" Kie begs.

The other officers move to pull JJ off of Shoupe violently. They handle him with aggression, pushing and shoving him.

Pope then gets into Shoupe's face. "He didn't kill anyone, and you know it!"

"We're still looking for him, all right?" Shoupe tells my brother.

"Pope. Pope, just stop!" Kie begs, pulling him away from the sheriff.

Everyone goes quiet as our parents step into the tent. My dad crouches in front of me, gripping my shoulders. "Mila?" I reach out to him, sobbing into his shoulder as he holds me against him. He rubs my back soothingly, trying to get me to relax a little. I let out uncontrollable sobs, unable to stop. My hands shake as I grip on to my father.

He pulls me into a standing position, allowing the rest of out family into the hug.

"Mila!" A familiar voice calls out. I pull away, from my family, looking up. My eyes grow wide in shock when I see the boy come frantically running into the tent.

I run over to the Rafe, wrapping my arms around his neck. A great sob escapes my lips as he wraps his arms around me. "Oh, Cameron!" I cry into his chest. I was so relieved to see him.

"I know, I'm here."

"He's gone." I sob.

"I know baby, I know." His grip tightens around me. I bury my head in the crook of his neck, continuing to sob against him. My body shakes, I could feel my knees getting week. I held myself against him for what felt like forever. Eventually I stop crying after several minutes, allowing his scent to calm me down enough to speak.

I pull away, looking at him. A sad look crosses his face as he looks over me. "Oh, Mila.."

"You came." I whisper, cutting him off.

"Baby, it's always gonna be you."

I press a deep kiss to his lips, relieved.