Can, Happier - 16

-

"Can you please, just leave me alone right now?"

Yuri was sitting down on a random bench in the middle of the quiet walking streets. The vast area for people to walk by, making Hyewon unsuccessful in trying to get closer to her secretly.

"No, please. Let me explain. I won't lie anymore. I promise. No, I.. I swear with everything I have."

Yuri couldn't look up, maybe it's because of the tiny water droplets from the sky. But she knew. She couldn't look up because her head was so heavy, even though her head was empty with no thoughts at this point. Everything was just blank.

"Do whatever. Like you really care for me anyways."

Yuri knew this statement wasn't true, Hyewon has been taken care of her as best as possible. But her feelings has completely took over. She isn't the Yuri she knew anymore either.

"May I sit here?"

Hyewon walked a bit closer to Yuri, pointing towards the empty seat next to her. Hyewon was trying to get a bit closer to Yuri, she wanted to see how Yuri is. Because she knew she had really messed up this time. And there is no way to fix anything anymore. She just wanted to see if Yuri was okay.

"I already said do whatever you want."

At this point Yuri still haven't looked up, her voice was almost inaudible, her arms wrapped around her tightly because of the cold air. Then a warm jacket covered her head softly. Making Yuri relaxed a little.

"At least cover your head, you are going to get sick you know."

Hyewon sat down next to Yuri. She didn't dare to look in Yuri's direction too much. She knew what she was facing. And she wasn't brave enough.

The rain got slightly heavier, the splashes againt the concrete floor got more violent. Only the streetlights in the distance were on. But silence took over the area.

Yuri took a big sigh. She started this, so she had to end it right.

"Why did you do that?"

"I didn't, I didn't do anything. I was lost and she gave me a hug, to make me feel a bit better. That was it. Nothing else."

"And did you feel better?"

"Well.. a bit."

Hyewon promised not to lie. And she did just that.

Did Yuri regret all her actions this past year? Or did she just took Hyewon in out of pity?

The answer to both questions is no. Yuri genuinely loved Hyewon for a while. She was a caring person, one that could be very hard to find. And Yuri found out later that Hyewon is like a lost child. With nowhere to go and seeking for adventure all the time. Inexperienced with no tutor to study from. Yuri knew the consequences of people like Hyewon. Soon nobody will get close to her, like how Yuri used to be scared of Hyewon.

"Thank you, Hyewon."

"Thank you too, Yuri. You have been my most welcomed stay yet. I thank you, truly."

"Don't go breaking more people's heart, please."

"I've learned. I have been through many things now. I know my place. I know where to go now."

"That's good. Well, I wish you nothing but luck, Hyewon. Go find your happiness."

"I loved you, Yuri."

That sentence came out of nowhere. Hyewon's head was empty, and that sentence came straight out of her heart. Yuri slightly moved her lips upwards. The feelings inside her chest isn't as heavy anymore.

"I loved you too, Hyewon."

Hyewon's heart has been freed, the heavy boulder was lifted finally. The questions in her head slowly disappeared. Hyewon took a deep breath, and starred into the dim lit streetlamp in front of her. Guess this is it. This is where we part. This is where the story ends. The story of the thousand heart breaker and her perfect princess.

"This is goodbye?"

"Wait, I have to tell you something before that. It's important. And I'm also wrong about doing this."

Yuri wanted to confess about Yena. But Hyewon knew all along. It's easy to guess when someone's in love. Especially for Yuri, Hyewon knew that Yuri never loved her. Her eyes were always wandering, her heart was always searching for someone. But it seems like only Hyewon notices it.

"You're in love. With Yena."

Yuri's mouth dropped. She thought she kept it well enough. She didn't do anything suspicious, she didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Or did she?

"How did you know?"

"Loving is easy, Yuri. I've learned that a long time ago. It may come with feelings and thoughts or it may come with just lust and unlimited wanting."

Hyewon never knew what love was as well. Until she met Yuri. The one who cared for her studies and her future. The one who asked if she was okay when she didn't show up. The one who actually cared about Hyewon in the first place.

"It wasn't really a secret anyways. Well, it's kind of good that you already know."

"Yeah, well. Wish you a lifetime of love and happiness then."

Hyewon wasn't hurt, her heart just ached a little and then the rest of the time it was numb. She knew this was the consequences of cheating so much. And this was how it felt to be cheated on. This was how Yuri felt all along.

"You too, Hyewon."

Yuri quickly wiped her tears when Hyewon was looking elsewhere. She finally faced her this time.
Yuri looked up and give Hyewon the best smile she could with her broken heart.

Although it wasn't the best smile Yuri had done, but what Hyewon saw, was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

Hyewon smiled back the best she could too, the rain helped in making it more unclear that Hyewon had tears too.

"Goodbye Hyewon. Thank you."

"Goodbye Yuri. Thank you too."

-

♪ Ed Sheeran - Happier ♪
-Hyewon

-