15

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
- Marilyn Monroe

~Aurora's Pov~

We had buried Sophia, Annette and Shawn. Earlier today Beth collapsed because of what happened at the barn, Herschel left the house and we needed him to help Beth. My dad and Glenn went out to look for him but it was dark and they haven't come back yet. Right now, I was outside sitting on the steps of the house waiting for Shane to come back. My mom went out to look for them, and she hasn't been back. "Rory," I looked back to see Carl, "Hey." I said as he pushed the door open and sat down next to me. "They'll be back, don't worry." He said. I smiled a bit looking at him, "I'm supposed to be telling you that.." I said, He smiled a bit too which only made me smile more. "Dad's not alone, and Shane is going after mom. Don't worry." He said.

I kept looking at him, "How are you not worried?" I asked as my smile faded. "I am.. I'm just not-" he said and took a pause looking over at the fields. "I don't overthink like you do." He said looking back at me, "You worry too much.." He said softly. I rolled my eyes and looked away from him. "I didn't mean it in a bad way." He said, I heard his smile. I looked back over to him, "It's just you, I don't think like you but you shouldn't worry so much.. They'll be back." He said nodding, I gave him a soft smile and held his hand. He held it back. I nodded a bit, "Alright." I said softly.

We heard a car and we looked over to see the car that Shane left in. "Told you." Carl said. We got up quickly and headed over to them with the rest meeting up with us. I let go of Carl and went to my mom quickly. "Oh my god- Mom." I said looking at her face. I saw cuts and scratches on her face. "I was in an accident, I'm fine- im fine." she said looking at me. "She was attacked." Shane said walking up to us. "What? Mom-" She cut me off, "I'm fine, I really am. Where's your dad?" She asked looking at me, I shook my head. "He's not here yet." I said. There was a pause, she looked at Shane as he walked away from us.

"Where are they?" She demanded looking over at him. "I had to get you back here.." Shane said. I looked over to him, "You asshole." Mom said and went up to him angrily. "Lori-" "He's my husband.!" she yelled, hitting him in the chest. "Lori I will go after him. I will find him- Hey!" Shane said and stopped her, pushing her away from him slightly. "Now look, first things first- I gotta look after you. I gotta make sure the baby's alright. Okay?" he asked. My head shot to him.

Mom was pregnant?

"What?!" "You're having a baby??" Carl and I asked at the same time. She looked over at us in shock. I looked over at Shane, it's not dad's. It's impossible. The baby was his. He looked at me too, "Why didn't you tell us??" Carl asked. "I- I-" Mom couldn't speak. Shane sighed and finally looked away from me, leaning against the car. I shook my head and walked away from everyone.

~~~

"Oh- Hey," I heard Oliver's voice. I stopped petting the horse and looked over to him. "Hi," I said. "Uh-" He laughed a bit, "What're you doing here?" He asked. "Petting a horse." I said and resumed petting the horse again. "Yeah- I mean.. why?" He asked. I smiled a bit, confused then looked over to him. "Are you trying to tell me I need a reason to pet a horse?" I asked, keeping my hand on the horse. "No-! No. No I just-" He said and shook his head, his mouth was open but nothing came out. "Ah-" he said and closed his eyes. My smile grew wider. He shook his head and opened his eyes, "Never- Uhh- No, Never mind.." He said and looked away. He walked over to one of the stables and scratched the back of his neck, shaking his head. I laughed a bit looking at him then back at the horse again.

He laughed too and looked at me, taking his hand off his neck. "What are you doing here." I said as my smile started to fade. "Uhm- I-- My job is to check if the horses are okay before I go to sleep.." He said and started checking the doors. I was petting a black horse at the very end of the stable. "His name's Bullet.. By the way." He said checking on another horse. "He's a retired racehorse.." He said and walked over to me. "Have you ever ridden a horse before?" He asked. I nodded, "Once, I went riding with my dad as a birthday gift. I was 9." I said, nodding a bit. "I started riding when I was 7." He said, finally reaching me.

"Um..." he said softly, I looked over to him. "It's really none of my business. It's not. But I wanted to make sure you're alright, your reaction about your mom wasn't- a good one.." He said, putting his hands in his pockets. I stopped petting the horse, "And i wanted to ask now that i saw you because I know i wouldn't be able to sleep if i didn't ask if you were okay so.." He said quickly and looked at the horse. "Yeah.." He whispered.

I smiled softly at him. "I'm fine, Thanks Oliver." I said softly, He looked back over to me and smiled a bit seeing my smile. He shook his head and furrowed his eyebrows,"You don't like him much do you? Shane?" He asked. I shook my head, "Don't even get me started.." I said. He nodded, "Shane topic.. Off limits. Got it.." He said. I nodded a bit, "Yeah." I said looking at him. "But you're good? You're okay?" He asked. I nodded, "Yeah. You changed my mood." I said, causing him to smile again. "Really?" He asked. I giggled. "Yeah." I said smiling at him. "Cool.." He said, keeping the smile on his face.

Word count: 1055