24

A/N: Daryl with babies/kids I- He has my heart. Daryl saying "Sweetheart" Will be the death of me 🥺❤

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all."
― Oscar Wilde

~Aurora's Pov~

The prison got overrun by walkers. The gate that my dad closed was open and they all flooded the yard. As far as we know T-Dog was bit, the rest ran inside the cell block. I was with Hershel, Beth and Oliver.

My dad, Glenn and Daryl came rushing in, "Daddy!" I called out as they killed a few walkers, pushing in. He turned to us, "What the hell happened!?" He called out, "The gate was open!" Beth said as Daryl and Glenn took down more walkers. "Where's Lori?! Carl!? Everyone else?!" He asked frantically. "Maggie led Lori and Carl into C block." Hershel said looking at him. "But T was bit." Beth said. "Anyone else?!" he asked. "I couldn't tell." Beth said. Dad came up to the fence and put his hand on it. I got down slightly and put my hand against his. "I'm okay." I said. He nodded and looked at the rest, "Stay put." He said and backed away.

~~~

Dad, Daryl, Glenn and Oscar came running out of the cell block. We started coming down the stairs and I ran to my dad. "You didn't find them?" Hershel asked as I reached dad. He hugged me back, holding the ax away from me. "We thought maybe they came back out here." Glenn said. Dad put his gun in his holster and put a hand on the back of my head holding me close. "What about T? Carol?" Hershel asked after a pause. "They didn't make it." Daryl said, "That doesn't mean the other's didn't." Dad said as he turned slightly. I pulled away from him and he turned to them completely. "We're going back. Daryl and Glenn, you come with-" Dad stopped talking as we heard a baby crying.

We looked back quickly to see Carl and Maggie walking out of the cell block, Maggie was holding a baby but mom wasn't with them. I swallowed the lump in my throat looking at Carl and Maggie. Their hands were covered with blood, Carl was holding his gun. Dad walked away from us and I was left standing next to Daryl. Both Maggie and Carl had this look on their faces. Dad dropped his ax and kept walking towards her, Maggie started crying holding the baby. I covered my mouth looking at Carl feeling my eyes start to water. "Where- Where is she? Where is she?" Dad asked as he started pacing. He started heading towards the door, "No. Rick- no." Maggie said trying to stop him from walking, She let him go and held the baby right with both arms.

Dad stopped right next to Carl and he started crying which only made me start to cry. It crushed me to see dad cry already. With him crying and mom- I felt a pain in my chest I've never felt before, it was overwhelming. "Oh, no. No!" Dad cried as he bent down and looked at Carl. But Carl didn't look at him, he kept looking at the floor in shock. He stood up and kept crying. "No!" Dad cried and fell to the floor. I gasped and put my hands on my head, pushing my hair away from my face.

I started crying more knowing that mom was dead. "Oh!" Dad cried and fell to the floor crying. Carl looked at me still holding his gun in his hand and he started walking over to me. I took my hands off my head and went to him too. He hugged me and his hat fell off his head. I hugged him back and rested my chin on his head as dad continued to cry on the floor.

~~~

I was holding the baby, it was a girl. "Let me see the baby." Hershel said. I walked over to him, Carl and Daryl walked by my side. "What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asked. Hershel looked at the baby in my arms, "The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon or she won't survive." He said. I looked at him then at Daryl. "Nope. No way. Not her." he said and strapped his crossbow around his back, he looked at me. "We ain't losin' nobody else. I'm going for a run." He said, I nodded a bit and looked back down at the baby.

"I'll back you up." Maggie said, "I'll go too." Glenn said. "Okay, think where we're going. Beth." Daryl said and pulled her aside. I can't believe mom is dead.. "You two get the fence. Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem. Glenn, Maggie, vamonos!" Daryl called out and took off with them. Dad snapped out of it and got up, grabbing his ax and rushing inside. "Rick!" Maggie called out, trying to stop him. I kept looking at the baby in my arms. It felt like I was in a dream. This didn't feel real.

"Get the gate." Daryl said as he rushed, "Cmon! We're gonna lose the light!" He yelled, his patience running thin. I took a step back, I kept holding the baby. Oliver put his hands on my back quickly thinking I was falling. "Rory- let me hold her. Go sit down." Carl said putting his hand on my arm. I shook my head after a few seconds, not taking my eyes off her. "Okay then just sit down Aurora. With the baby.." Beth said putting her hand on my other arm. "Cmon.." Oliver said rubbing my arm a bit. He led me over to the steps, leading up to the fenced area where we were using to take cover. "Sit." He said softly and stood in front of me. He put his hands on my arms and gently pushed me down.

~~~

"Why don't you go get some rest?" Hershel asked, putting his hand on my arm. "Let Carl take care of her." He said. I looked at Carl, "I got her Rory, I promise." He said nodding. I looked back down at the baby and hesitantly handed her over to him. I stood up, Beth and Oliver stood up too. "I got her," Oliver said looking at her. She nodded and slowly sat back down. Oliver put a hand on my back and walked me upstairs to the cell I slept in. I laid down on my side and he sat down with me, putting his hand on my shoulder. I looked at the wall In shock. I couldn't cry, I felt like crying but I couldn't. "You want me to leave you alone..?" He asked softly. I didn't respond, I kept looking at the wall. " 'rora.." He said softly and moved his thumb against my shoulder.

"Alright.." he said softly and got up, about to turn around. I looked at him and grabbed his hand quickly. He turned around and looked back down to me. "No.." I whispered as he held my hand back. He nodded and sat back down with me and rested our hands on his leg. "Alright," He said looking down at me.

Word Count: 1186