Blue Eyes

Asami stared blankly in front of the mirror. Her hair is a mess, bruises along her body are visible in the washroom's faint light, and some scratches of dirt in her clothes and face. She was able to take her jacket off, leaving a tank top underneath. The water on the sink is flowing, and she had a damp cloth on her left hand as she was supposed to clean herself up, but her body wouldn't move. So, she just stood there, staring at her reflection—through her reflection, when a light knock startled her.

"Asami?" It was Mako. She immediately turned the water off and opened the door to the washroom.

Mako was looking at her with concern in his eyes as he continued, "Korra's awake now and—"

She didn't let him finish and darted towards Korra's room.

It was the night after Korra's fight with Zaheer. Asami thought it would be the last battle for the Avatar. Her heart shattered when she saw Korra lying on the ground after giving one final push to bring Zaheer down. Asami wanted to hold Korra, but her father beat her to it. All she could do was watch and hope that Korra was okay.

When the poison was out of her body, they immediately transported the Avatar to the airship to tend her wounds. Korra's body being a mess was an understatement. The whole ride back to Air Temple Island, Asami could hear her screaming from the hallway as they try to patch up whatever wounds they can on Korra's body. Tonraq and Kya were with Korra the whole time, and she didn't want to be a bother just by being there and not do anything. It hurt to hear Korra's anguished screams, and Asami just wanted to hug her pain away. If only it were that easy.

I'd give up everything to take the pain away, Korra . If it were that easy.

She didn't know when her feelings for Korra developed, but she was sure that her love for the Avatar was more than platonic. It may be the long nights they shared when one had trouble sleeping, so they just talked all night and shared experiences from when they were kids. It may be when they spent in the desert trying to survive the giant fish attacking them when Asami noted that they work well together. It may also be when Asami volunteered to watch Korra's body as she meditated to the spirit world, and she wasn't sure then.

At the same time, she stared at the Avatar in a lotus position and wondered why her heart sped up. A blush was creeping in her cheeks while thinking about what Korra's lips taste like if she kissed her then.

She wasn't sure then, but she knew now. She was in love with her best friend.

When they reached the island, they were able to sedate Korra and carried her through a stretcher into her room. Asami didn't know how long she stared at the door to Korra's room, contemplating if she should go in and just hold Korra or let her rest. A hand touched her shoulder, and she looked in the direction where it came from and saw Mako staring at her.

"We should let her rest for now. She'll be asleep for a few hours. At least that's what I heard from Kya." Mako held both of Asami's shoulders, and with a quick motion, he hugged her.

Asami didn't realize she was holding her breath until she felt Mako's arms around her, and she started to break down. She felt her legs tremble, and if it weren't for Mako's firm grip around her, she would've fallen on the floor. She quietly cried in Mako's arm.

"She's strong, Asami. She'll get through this like the last time." Mako tried to console Asami, but his voice betrayed him as she heard his voice crack at the last sentence.

They held each other for a while until Asami broke the hug and finally calmed down.

"I'll let you know when she's awake, but first we need to eat dinner and then wash up afterward. Most of them are in the dining area already", Mako started. She looked at Korra's door one last time, then she nodded and followed Mako in the dining room.