11 Atlantic Regional Part 5: Coding, Codein

Onika Tanya Maraj
June 13th, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia

"Cookie they just said he's coding! Please,no! Please hurry

"Cookie they just said he's coding! Please,no! Please hurry.i can't, I can't!" I hear Dejah yell through the phone. I could hear the terror  and sorrow in her voice.

Then I heard the phone click.

I gripped at the stirring wheel, my eyes starting to itch with with tears.

Please God, don't take this man from his family.

I silently prayed in my head.

They said he was coding which mean he had just flatlined.

I couldn't swallow due to my throat being swollen from holding back my sobs.

YG was really my best guy friend.

We spent so much time together, this night knew me like the back of his hand.

I had one job.

That was to make sure this man made it back to his little girl every night .

I speed towards the hospital making it in a record time of three minutes.

I swerved in a parking spot. Not caring how I parked.

I hoped out nearly leaving the keys in the ignition.

I ran in right pass the front desk. He was in icu on the 3rd floor so I had to take the elevator.

As I waited on the elevator I became more nervous and more on edge.

When it dinged signaling it was my turn to get off, I wasted no time running to my destination.  I ran right to  the waiting room Where Dejah sat looking out of it.

"Dee" I say as I sit next to her. She turns towards me throwing her arms around me and begins to sob on my shoulder. I wrapped my

It took everything in me not to cry too.

"T-they w-won't let me back there." Dejah stutters out.

I sighed.

Man fuck!

"What happened yo?" You could hear the sadness in my voice.

Dejah pulled away from me and sniffling. Her pretty face red and swollen from crying.  

"Hhis-his heart just stopped Cook. I was back there just chilling and one minute I'm telling him how much I need him and love him then the next, the monitor started beeping." Dejah started to break down again. This time hugging herself as the tears streamed again.