Chapter 10a

I apologize for not updating. School started for me and I had a very stressful week. You're going to have to expect less frequent updates.

Please review.

Disclaimer: ATLA is not owned by me.

~~~

Chapter 10a

Aang watched as someone started generating lightning. Preparing to strike Katara.

"Oh my spirits! Katara!" he thought. He started to lightning with his movements and then shot his fingers forward. The energy exploded in his face and he watched Katara get incinerated by lightning.

"KATARA!" he screamed but the scene just faded away. He was floating in a world of darkness and he saw her standing a couple of feet away.

"You could have saved me," she said to him in a ghostly voice. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head. Her face was pale, blank, and motionless. Blood seeped out of her eyes and mouth.

"Katara... I..." he started but she didn't acknowledge him.

The scene changed and he saw himself about to be hit in the back by Azula's lightning. This time, he wasn't in the Avatar State. He was turned around, not knowing she was there. The lightning shot forward but was intercepted by another. It was Katara. Aang gasped as he watched her fall to the ground, dead.

"NO KATARA! WHY?!" he screamed as the scene changed. He now saw nothing but heard a voice.

"You must learn to let go," Guru Pathik said quietly.

"What?" Aang questioned, hardly able to hear.

Stars and planets appeared. "YOU MUST LEARN TO LET GO!" Guru Pathik yelled in a deep, distorted voice.

Aang started falling. He couldn't make anything out. It looked like swirls of colors that were blurred out.

He landed on a cliffside. He looked up, only to see that the tunnel he fell through had disappeared. Lightning struck right in front of him.

Avatar Yangchen walked out of the beam of lightning. "You are the Avatar and you must do your duty. The world comes before your own spiritual enlightenment."

Aang woke up in his bed sweating.

"What does this dream mean? Katara is dying and I can't help her. Is it my fault? Would she be safe if I wasn't there? If it weren't for me nobody would ever want to hurt her. Maybe I am putting her in danger by being with her," he thought.

Aang got up and walked out on to the beach. He watched as the waves went back and forth.

"I can't endanger Katara to make myself happy. As long as she is with me, she will be in danger. I will always have enemies since I am the Avatar. I can't let that hurt her. I have to break up with her. I'm doing this for her," he thought.

Tears formed in Aang's eyes at the painful realization. He sat down and began to meditate.

"How do I break up with her? I can't just say it's over. She'd hate me and it would ruin our friendship. I don't want to do that. I just don't want her to be romantically attached to me. Maybe if I got her to break up with me. I could try it. It will be hard because I have to do it in a way she won't hate me." He groaned in frustration.

"Why do I have to be in this situation?" he thought.

Aang got up and headed back to his room. He spent the next couple of hours figuring out how he was gonna do it. He eventually fell asleep in the middle of his thinking.