⋆𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝑒⋆

Y/N looked over at Jacob, confusion in her eyes. They were together? When on earth did they have that conversation? A thought began to loom in Y/N's mind- had she been leading him on by avoiding the conversation? And did she even want to be with him? Sure, he was attractive enough and she had gotten used to having to correct his use of slurs- but was it really worth messing up their friendship over? In fact, Y/N was pretty sure she had bigger fish to fry other than the whole 'relationship- yes or no' thing with Jacob. What the hell was going on with her anonymous funds?

Her heart ached as she realised that she'd have to hold off the conversation with Jacob regarding their apparent relationship. After all, if she didn't gather together the money to pay for the next month of school in the space of two days, there wouldn't be any relationship with Jacob- not even a friendship. Y/N looked over at Jacob, who was sitting next to her, tapping away on his phone screen. It didn't seem like he was desperately hanging onto the thought and want of talking to Y/N about their 'romance' anytime soon. It was fine, she'd come to that later.

More than that, more than the need to find eight-thousand-dollars for school- there was another thing holding her back from having the conversation. And that, was her social awkwardness and hatred for social confrontations. 

Y/N got up from her seat and looked around the room, looking for some inspiration as to what she should do next. She could talk to Meg about the situation but Y/N had a feeling that Meg already guessed what was going through Y/N's mind- and that she couldn't help her. After all, Meg hadn't been left any money from Harlan in the will either. They were both- in a sense- entirely screwed. 

But then Y/N started to think back to what she figured out in the library. When she had been talking to the attorney about how much Harlan had stashed away. When she'd done the maths in her head- which could be wrong because she wasn't the best at maths- there would be about $1.5 million dollars of money left out and missing from Harlan's last will and testament.

Compared to the amount of money there was in total, one and a half million didn't seem like all that much but it was a lot in Y/N's eyes. That could pay for her school, it could pay off the entire value of her tiny little house. Heck, she could even buy herself a new house with that amount and a car, and a whole new closet of clothes, and even pay for a fancy holiday somewhere.

She tried to control her excitement, she'd learnt by then not to get her hopes up for anything at all. She almost always ended up disappointed when she did that. Y/N gathered herself together and decided to walk over to Harlan's attorney. The balding man was sat in the corner of the room, looking very tired and stressed out from the room of Thrombey's shouting at each other.

She didn't know what she'd say, exactly. She hadn't really planned anything as she marched over to the man in the corner of the room. She guessed she'd just say whatever first came to her mind when she arrived at the table and stood in front of the little man and-

"What happened to the rest of Harlan's money?" Y/N blurted, immediately feeling her face heat up with a twinge of embarrassment as the man looked up at her. Wow, she just sounded as blunt as the Thrombey's.

"You can't change his will, he left the money to who he wants- for the last time." The man sighed, rubbing his eyes. He'd clearly had a long and stressful day, exhausted to repeating himself to the Thrombey's. So much so, that he'd completely misheard the girls questioning.

"Yeah, I know. But where's the rest of it." Y/N asked, raising an eyebrow and looking closely at the man's face- trying to see if he had a reaction to what she was saying. There was definitely a reaction, he raised his eyebrows a little- surprised- and then tried to shrug the expression off. 

"Rest of it? I don't know what you mean. All of his assets were left to Marta Cabrera." The attorney told her. Y/N sighed softly and looked down for a second, thinking, before looking back up at him.

"No, there's more. One and a half million. You know there is and-"

But Y/N's case was cut off at the sound of Walt, finally turning away from the family discussion and dragging the attorney into the mess, once again. Y/N shook her head, annoyed, knowing she wouldn't be able to ask any more question now that the Thrombey's were back to questioning Alan themselves. "There have to be options here." Walt said, making the same statement for the eighth time that evening.

"No. I don't know how many times I can repeat the same two pieces of information." Alan told them, looking like he'd just like to go home and crawl into bed.

Y/N sighed softly and headed back over to Jacob, sitting there and looking at his phone. Trolling people on Twitter, most likely. Y/N half-listened to the adults arguing amongst themselves, the noise of it becomming somewhat familiar to her. It was almost as if she was slowly becomming immune to it. But she almost jumped out of her own skin when Jacob said-

"What about undue influence?"

Y/N looked over at the attorney, hope in her eyes. Maybe it was something that would work, then she could pay for her school?-

But it was shut down pretty quickly and she sighed,s inking back into her seat and looking at Jacob. Maybe now, when everyone else was distracted, she could talk to him about why he seemed to think they were together.

"Jacob?" Y/N asked him and he turned his head to look at her, "About earlier.. why did you say that-"

He cut her off, chuckling softly, "Oh, that? Don't worry, I only said that to stop my parents getting mad that I was doing that again."

"Doing what again?" Y/N asked.

"Oh, you know, just messing around with girls and stuff. Don't worry, we can fake breakup soon." He smiled and laughed before looking at his phone again.

So that was what it was about. Jacob had done that before? It really hadn't meant anything to him? She was relived that she knew that it was all about but she couldn't help but feel her heart sink.

How could she be sad about losing something she never had in the first place?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote! <3