17: Not So Rude Alex

MARIA WAYNE

Silas didn't say anything after that, and I didn't ask him either. His silence was loud enough for me to hear. He had no answer. I didn't say anything and pretended like he wasn't in the room. I had more issues to worry about – I didn't want him or anything related to him. After a couple of minutes, he walked out of the room wordlessly. After he was gone I sighed and rested my head over the pillow behind my head. I have had enough. I don't want to cry anymore. I don't want to worry anymore. I am so tired. I will let everything happen to me and just going to wait for the next hit.

"Maria?" I didn't know when the door opened and Charlie walked in. She was standing by the foot of the bed. I looked at her and smiled. She smiled back, "Leo called. He is on his way." She told me. That's what I was afraid of. He will be here.

"Wait, is papa coming too?" I asked her. I hope he is not leaving him alone.

"Oh, I didn't ask about him. I think he will come as well. I am sure Leo won't leave him alone." Charlie said.

I nodded and blew out my cheeks, "That's what I didn't want. Now, they will get more worried about me." I answered.

Charlie walked nearer and sat on the bed beside me. She put her hand over my hand, "They are family, Maria. Of course, they will worry." She said. "And I hope they will give you a peace of mind for not taking your medicines." She said while folding her arms over her chest.

I sighed and looked down at my hand, "I hate gulping pill one after another." I told her. She pressed my hand lightly, "It will not last forever. You will get rid of it soon. I am sure of it." She smiled. I looked at her for a second. I know I am never getting rid of these medicines – not anytime soon at least. I wasn't up for 'you will get better, don't lose hope', so I just smiled lightly and nodded my head.

"So, I – uh – I saw Silas leaving your room in a bit hurry. Is everything okay?" she questioned.

I shrugged, "I told him that I knew he was with someone else." I answered her. She removed her hand from mine and tugged her hair behind her ear. "You know how I always say that I want him to move on and forget what we ever had?" I asked her. She simply nodded her head, "Turns out, I haven't moved on." I whispered.

"You think that I don't know?" she questioned. I met her eye as she continued, "Maria, we all know and we also know that Silas hasn't moved on either. Sure he started dating Alice, but by heart, he is still all yours. You don't know how hard he has been trying to break off things with her." Charlie said. "He told me himself that he loves you, not Alice or any other girl." She added.

I sniggered, "Since when did you two become best friends and started telling each other things?" I asked her.

"Since you left." She answered. I didn't say anything to her afterward.

Marcus came to see me as well. He was really worried about me and he even scolded me for being careless and not taking the medicines on time. It was like Charlie used to scold me for doing something stupid – he is turning into her. He stayed for a while before leaving because Kathie was alone with Silas at his apartment. Charlie went home with her – I forced her to go. She has been with me all day. She has a family now – I don't want to keep her to myself for too long. She has already done enough.

Charlie brought me my phone. It had two missed called from Leo and a couple of messages from Rene. I replied to her message, but I didn't tell her about me being in the hospital. I tried to call Leo back, but his phone was switched off – it only means that he is on his way. I felt bad for making all of them so worried about myself – I should have been careful.

Later that evening Dr. Quinn came along with two more doctors to tell me about the leg braces she told me about earlier. I listened to her carefully – since my muscles were weak and weren't healing properly, my only chance to get better quicker is by wearing leg braces. They say it could be temporary, but if the therapies and medication don't work – I might have to wear them for a lifetime. I didn't react to it. I somehow knew they would say that. I still had slight pain on my back, so Dr. Quinn gave me some medication before I fell asleep.