52: A Little Surprised

MARIA WAYNE

We both stayed quiet for a few minutes. There was awkwardness and a little hesitation between us like we don't know each other since we were kids. Charlie blew her cheeks out as she played with her fingers. "I will start." She said and mashed her lips together before looking at me, "I wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to say all that. I am sorry, Maria." She spoke softly while looking at me with teary eyes. When I didn't say anything she sniffed, "I – I overreacted and I am sorry for that. It is just – there is so much going on and it messed up my mind. I am so sorry, Maria." She stood up and sat beside me. I looked at her with tears in my own eyes and her words fresh on my mind. She held my hand in hers, "Please, forgive me. I am a bad friend. What I said was not true. I am so sorry." She pleaded.

I shook my head and looked down at our hands, "You didn't say anything wrong. You were right. I am the one who messed it all. I am the one to blame." I said to her. She shook her head as she sobbed, "No, you didn't do it on purpose. I am the stupid one, here! I took out all my stress on you. I am so sorry." She wept and embraced me in a hug. I sniffed and hugged her back. I missed her so much. It was killing me seeing her distance from me. We pulled away and I wiped tears off my face, "You know, I was even thinking about moving out of this apartment and staying in some hotel. I was so upset that you weren't talking to me and how you decided to stay with Marcus." I told her.

She scoffed, "Like Silas would've let that happen." She said. I knitted my eyebrows, "Why does everybody keep saying that?" I asked her irksomely. She chuckled and cleaned up her face, "Because, that is true." She shrugged. "And anyway, I wouldn't have let you do such stupid thing either." She said and playfully slapped the back of my head. "Hey!" I protested causing her to giggle. "I am sorry about everything." She mumbled before we hugged again. "I am sorry too," I replied.

After a couple of minutes of talking about what happened – Charlie slapped her thighs, "I will move back tomorrow. You should stay with Silas for today." She winked. I chuckled and shook my head, "No need for that. He is not staying here – it is not like we were doing anything." I shrugged. Charlie grinned and gave me that 'I know what was happening – I saw it with my own two eyes.' I rolled my eyes and threw a cushion at her, "Nothing happened and nothing was going to happen either!" I said to her causing laugh. "Okay – okay." She put the cushion back at its place. "Move back today if you want – he is not staying here," I repeated myself.

"Says who?!" Silas yelled from the room. I widened my eyes and looked towards the closed door. Charlie laughed. I shook my head in disbelieve – he was eavesdropping. I ignored him and looked at Charlie. I was going to repeat myself when Silas yelled out – again. "And something was going to happen if you wouldn't have walked in, Charlie. I am so mad at you!"

Charlie tried to suppress her smile while I covered my face in embarrassment. "You should have locked the door," Charlie yelled back at him.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOCKED THE DOOR," Silas yelled out. Charlie thought about it for a few seconds, "He is right." She mumbled. She shrugged, "I will leave!" She said out loud. "I will see you tomorrow." Charlie winked before she walked towards the exit.

"THANK YOU, CHARLIE!" He yelled out from the room. I gritted my teeth, "Shut up, Silas!" I said loudly. "OKAY!" He yelled back. Charlie laughed as she left while I sighed and rested my head on the couch's header. "Oh God," I mumbled and covered my face with my palms.

Silas came out of the room minutes later. I stayed in my place while he sat beside me with an apple in his hand, "What would you like to have for lunch?" He asked with a mouthful of apple. I looked at him and cringed, "Can you not?" I asked him. He knitted his eyebrows before realizing what I meant. He chewed and swallowed the apple before chuckling, "Sorry, I forgot how much it bothers you when people speak when they have food in their mouth." He remembered. He snickered, "I remember how many times you scolded me for talk while I was eating." He recalled. I chuckled at the memory. Silas always had this bad habit of talking when he had food in his mouth – I always used to point it out and make him swallow the morsel before he could speak.