43: Always

MARIA WAYNE

Rene and Paige were arriving in New York today. Marcus was humble enough to send his driver Davis to pick them up from the airport – while Charlie was preparing lunch for them and I was helping her. "Maria, taste this and tell me how does it taste?" She asked as she made me taste the parmesan cream sauce. The creamy flavor made me moan, "This is delicious." I told her. It was true and it will taste even better with pasta and grilled chicken. She creased her forehead, "Is it?" She asked unsurely. I rolled my eyes, "It tastes perfect! Stop worrying so much." I told her as I chuckled. She put the wooden soup back in the saucepan and lowered the heat as she pouted, "I just want everything to be perfect." She said. "They are our guests and your friends. I just want to leave a good impression." She added. I chuckled and put my hands on her shoulders, "Charlie, you have done such an amazing job. They will love it. Don't worry, I know them – they not be hard on you – believe me." I said. She sighed and nodded, "I know that. I just want them to feel welcome." She said. I smiled, "That – they will." I said.

Charlie has been nervous since yesterday. She has never met my friends and now she is afraid if she will be able to impress them. Rene and Paige are the sweetest people – especially Rene. Paige doesn't talk much, but I know she has a good heart and Rene is the most helpful and supporting friend. They will love Charlie – I am sure of it. "Hey, Elizabeth asked me to take her suitcase from Silas's penthouse before we leave," Charlie told me. I nodded, "Yeah, I got her message as well." I answered her.

Elizabeth is still in Chicago – although she was supposed to come back yesterday evening, some work came in and she had to stay there for another day, therefore she will fly directly from Chicago to Barbados. She asked us to take her bag with us. I already messaged Silas and asked if he could drop it at our place. I was wiping the freshly washed plate when my cellphone started to ring. I turned my head to see it ringing on the counter. I put the towel down and stepped towards the counter to see that it was Silas who was calling me. I answered it, "Hey."

"Nope," He replied from the other side. I brought my eyebrows together, "No?" I questioned him. "No – as in – no, I will not drop Beth's suitcase to your place. Instead, I want you to come and get it and while you will be here – why don't you stay for dinner and spend a night as well?" He asked causing me to chuckle. Charlie briefly turned her head to looked me and passed me knowing smiling before resuming stirring the spoon in the pot. I mashed my lips and slipped out of the kitchen. "Silas, you know I can't," I told him. After a brief pause, he replied, "And why is that?" he asked. "My friends are coming today, remember?" I said to him. He tsk, "Your friends can wait." He said irksomely. I laughed, "Silas, so can you." I replied amusingly.

"That's the thing. You think that I can – when I seriously can't." He complained. "And now you will be gone for a week – a whole freaking week!" he said loudly. I widened my eyes at his loudness. After a couple of seconds, I heard muffling voices from the background following a mumbled apology by Silas. Silas sighed, "I am going to miss you." He said. I smiled softly, "So will I. Who is going to annoy me the whole time?" I joked. "Don't worry about that I will call you every day." He replied causing me to laugh.

"On that note, I want you to accept something." He spoke. I knitted my eyebrows, "And what is that?" I asked him as I sat on the couch and put my crutches on the side. "I have a resort in Barbados – I would love it if you girls would stay there." He said. "But we already booked the hotel," I told him. "It can be canceled." He suggested. I sighed and bit my lower lip, "I don't know, Silas." I spoke. "It is a new resort and also – it is secure for all of you. You know, how the paparazzi are trying to get to you – I don't want that to happen and if you stay in that hotel – there is a chance they can get to you." He told me. "I will be Barbados, Silas. I don't think they will know about our trip and follow us there." I said. "Please?" Silas added.