18: Alex Meet Silas

MARIA WAYNE

Silas kept looking at smiling Alex for a few seconds before he cleared his throat, "Uh – hi." He said as he averted his gaze to me. "Uh, I – I can come later if you are busy." He added.

"Oh no – no, I was just leaving," Alex interjected. He turned to look at me, "Maria, I hope you will get well soon. And I am sorry once again. I have to go now." He said to me.

I smiled and nodded, "It is all right, Alex. And thank you for the chocolate." I said as I looked at the single wrapped chocolate in my hand.

He chuckled, "It was my pleasure. It was nice meeting you." He said.

I smiled, "It was nice meeting you too, Alex." I replied. I watched him turn his wheelchair around to face Silas – who was bewilderedly watching us communicate.

"I am Alex Groff." He said to Silas and stretched his hand out. Silas smiled and nodded before shaking hands with him, "I am Silas Harrison. It is nice to meet you." Silas introduced himself.

Alex smiled, "Likewise." He said before he paused and frowned, "Wait, Are you the Silas Harrison of Harrison Enterprise?" He questioned him. Silas glanced at me before nodding his head, "Uh – yes, I am that Silas Harrison." He told him. Alex chuckled, "Oh – wow. All right." He nodded. He twirled his head around to look at me, "Goodbye, Maria." He said.

I smiled, "Goodbye, Alex." I replied and saw him exiting the room as Silas walked in. After the door closed Silas kept looking at the closed door for a couple of seconds before he sighed and twirled his head to look at me. He glanced at the bouquet in his hand and slowly walked towards me, "I – I brought you some flowers. They are your favorite." He told me and handed them to me.

I gazed at the bouquet and smiled softly, "Thank you, Silas." I told him lowly and took the flowers from his hand. I sniff the sweet smell of fresh lilies and sighed. None of us said anything for a few seconds. I was already feeling bad for lashing him out when he was here earlier. I was in no place for saying those things to him. "I –"

"Maria." We both said at the same time and then chuckled. "Sorry, what were you saying?" Silas asked.

I glanced at my intertwined fingers and wetted my lips, "Silas, I am – I am sorry for what I said to you earlier. I was frustrated by the news of getting leg braces – I shouldn't have said what I said to you." I apologized to him, though, I didn't look at him.

After a pause, I heard him sigh. "You had every right to say what you said. You don't have to apologize, Maria." Silas and moved closer to me. I lifted my head to see him sitting just beside me on the bed. I let out a dry chuckle and rested my head over the pillow, "Are you that guilty about our failed marriage that now you are justifying my wrong?" I asked him. He shook his head and he was about to say something, but I didn't let him. "Silas, what I said was wrong. I shouldn't have said any of those things. I am truly sorry. I know I was out of line – you don't have to say otherwise just to make me feel less crappy." I told him.

He chuckled, "It is okay, Maria. I am also sorry for –"

"For moving on?" I asked him. When Silas didn't say anything – I shook my head and chuckled, "Silas, I am happy for you – I am. I don't know what was I thinking when I said all those things, but I am happy that you moved on and found someone better." I nodded. I know that he knows that I am lying, but neither had he corrected me nor I wanted him to. I just want to believe what I am saying. He lowered his head and sighed, but before he could say anything – I patted his thigh jokingly, "So, tell me about Alice. How is she?" I asked him. I don't know why I asked him that. I am not sure if I wanted to lighten up the mood or was it to make myself feeling hurt.