51: Kiss Me

MARIA WAYNE

Somehow we managed to escape Barbados without the paparazzi getting us. We had to leave sooner than we planned since we were locked in the hotel after the paparazzi flooded and spoiled the trip. Rene and Paige took the flight back to Chicago while Silas, I, Marcus, Charlie, Kathie, and Elizabeth along with Silas and Marcus's secretaries flew back to New York, where another batch of flashes, screaming questions, and controversies were waiting for us. Charlie was still not talking to me and I was also giving her space. The truth is that we both needed some time and space to think this through. I was still shaken by what Charlie said to be back in Barbados – her words cut me deep and hurt me the most. She is more like my family and those words coming from her nearly killed me.

"It is going to be okay. Stop worrying so much. This is what paparazzi do. They will make your life miserable for a few days before they find another juicy story to cover." Elizabeth said as she handed me the cup of tea and sat beside me before the window wall. I glanced towards her to see her smiling. She sighed and put her hand on mine, "Believe me, everything will be okay. I have been dealing with such things since I was a kid. It gets better with time." She tried to assure me. I gulped and simply nodded my head. I wasn't in any mood to talk at that moment.

As soon as we came back – Charlie and Kathie moved back with Marcus. Charlie told me that she wanted to be with Marcus and need some time to process everything. No matter how much hurt I was with it – I played as if I was okay with it. The truth is that I was embarrassed. This apartment isn't even mine – it is Charlie's. It is me who should move out not them. I was angry at Charlie for treating me like that but at the same time, I get her. I ruined her bachelorette's trip and possibly her wedding. "I need to move out," I spoke subconsciously. "What?" Elizabeth asked immediately. I realized that I spoke that aloud, so I sighed and placed the cup on the wooden floor. "I need to move out of Charlie's apartment," I repeated. Elizabeth frowned, "Did Charlie asked you to –?" she questioned angrily, but I instantly shook my head. "No. Of course, she didn't ask me to. She would never do that – no matter how angry she is with me." I explained to her. I glanced towards my hands and played with my fingers, "It is just that I don't feel good stay here when this is Charlie's place. If she is upset with me that she shouldn't have moved out – she should have asked me to leave. I don't like staying at her apartment like this – without her. I need to move out as soon as I can." I told her.

Elizabeth looked at me, stupefied. "I don't think that Charlie would mind you, staying here. She just needs to spend some time with Marcus, that's it. She will be back." Elizabeth said to me. I smiled, "I know, but still – I am not comfortable like this." I shrugged. "I will stay in a hotel for a while," I told her. She sniggered, "And you think Silas would let that happen?" Elizabeth asked me sarcastically.

I sighed, "He will understand." I said when I know that he will not. Elizabeth chuckled, "Sure he will." She took a sip of her tea. "Please, let me be there when you discuss this matter. I have been bored lately. It will be good entertainment." She said causing me to laugh.

We both went quiet for a while. I sipped my tea which was slowly getting cold as I looked outside. It was a sunny day, but we couldn't go out because we were surrounded, my paparazzi. I glanced towards Elizabeth who was sitting beside me – looking out as well. I mashed my lips together and remembered the time when Silas asked me to talk to her, but such unavoidable circumstances took place and I never got to talk to her. Now seemed like the right time. "Elizabeth?" I called her name. She looked lost in her thoughts. I sighed and called her name louder. She looked at me and smiled, "Sorry, I was zoned out." She chuckled. "You were saying something?" She asked.

I smiled, "Uh – yes. I just – I wanted to know if you are okay." I asked her. She chuckled, "Yeah, I am okay. Why? Do I not look okay?" She giggled. No matter how much she tries – I could see through her fake smile – she was hurting. When I didn't smile back – her smile slipped and she pulled a string of her hair behind her ear. She looked away, "Silas told you, didn't he?" She asked softly. I slowly shook my head, "No, he didn't tell me. He is worried about you, sure, but he didn't tell me why." I said to her. I put my hand on hers, "I am sorry I didn't answer your call that day." I apologized to her. She turned her head to look at me. "You don't have to apologize." She chuckled. She pressed her lips together, "I needed a friend then – yes – I was upset about something stupid." She chuckled. "But, I am all good now." She grinned. She was back to pretending.