Ch:27 Hardcore Girl

(Lea's P.O.V)

I kept my gaze fixed on the basketball that Chris was dribbling in my direction and when he was within reach, I lunged forward, abruptly blocking his path.

Taking him by surprise, I attempted to snatch the ball from him as he twisted around, but to his dismay, a guy named Seth on our team was waiting right there and succeeded in getting a hold of the ball.

We all started moving to the other side of the court and I breathed heavily, feeling my stomach start to ache.

We'd been playing for at least a good twenty minutes till now and the scores for our team were 8 and Gale's were 7 (2 baskets including a free shot). Luke had scored two baskets and one was scored by another blonde guy on our team, Roland. Up until now, as much as I hate to say it, I'd gotten a hold of the ball only twice. Which sucks but I'm gonna be better.

I quickly made my way ahead and tried getting closer to Seth who was surrounded by the other team. I was being checked by my man, Naomi herself but I managed to lose her and ran up to him.

I shouted his name and seeing that I was free, he passed the ball to me. Most probably because he didn't have another option.

I dribbled the ball and made my way into the D. I quickly glanced about to see my team members arriving and asking for the ball as another opponent made his way towards me. I breathed heavily and felt beads of sweat rolling down my forehead.

I ran ahead to take a lap but passed the ball to Luke midway, who easily caught it. Unfortunately for me, there was only one guy Luke could pass a ball to even though he could easily score a 3 pointer, he preferred to give the other players a fair chance. Something Sam lacked.

I watched with dismay as the ball was caught by Todd; the guy I'd roasted and he'd insulted me to extreme limits. He was quick on his feet and took a jump shot which landed the ball into the basket after being touched by the board.

My team cheered and praised him briefly but all I felt was rage when he looked at me with a smug grin and a look that said, 'I'm better than you. You already lost.'

I hate him. This was honestly just a warm up for me. Now I'm getting into my game finally.

The game resumed with us being in the lead by 3 points.

Seth dribbled ahead and then passed the ball to Roland who lost the ball as Chris snatched it from him and passed onto Mason Gale.

I kept up and covered Naomi as she tried to lose me but failed. Luke managed to get a hold of the ball and started towards the basket.

I left my position and ran alongside Luke as the rest trailed behind us. If I don't take matters into my own hands and try to score a basket, I'll lose a lot. And I definitely don't want that.

Naomi took on Luke since she was a defender but he made it past her and into the D from where Dominic, another opponent defender, tried to snatch the ball from him and I stood clear withing shooting distance and Luke's passing distance, but so did Todd. The choice was Luke's.

And he chose me.

I didn't keep the grin off my face as I caught the ball and made a rough entry into the third D by pushing off Dominic and coming face to face with Naomi.

I dribbled the ball in front of her and she smirked as we kept subtle eye-contact.

"Sorry girl, but I gotta do this." I said before I feigned doing a basket from the right side above her head and she moved in the direction. I smirked as I knew my trick worked and I quickly changed directions, breaking the defense and taking a lap.