What? Part 1 (Edited)

Atsushi

What should I do now? I've already gone through the trash cans and found nothing to eat. Maybe I should steal. No! You're not that type of person Atsushi, but... 

A week ago, Atsushi Nakajima was banished by the orphanage for there being too many mouths to feed. It was around August at the time, he only turned 15 two months ago. At least he didn't freeze in death.

No, I shouldn't, maybe I should just die. Atsushi truly thought of himself as a burden to this world. No friends or family could help him, he was alone.

Atsushi was sitting on the bank nearby a river in Yokohoma. Atsushi looks up to the river nearby him. At least I have some sort of water source. Looking closer, bubbles were rising on the surface. Suddenly, a hand popped out of the water.

Someones drowning, what should I do!? Wait, maybe if I save this person, they would treat me to some food? No, Atsushi don't be selfish, you're going to save someone! After some self-convincing, Atsushi leaps into the water and drags out a body.

It was a boy around the same age as Atsushi. Black hair with white-ended bangs, he was wearing a long black coat and a white dress shirt. The boy that Atsushi saved quickly sat up and coughed some water out. He took a quick survey of the area and then glared at Atsushi.

They stayed like that for some time, just staring at each other, realizing what happened. His eyes, so monotone, eyes dark as night and yet so...

"Who are you and why did you save me!?" He yelled and then coughed.

"Um, I'm Atsushi Nakajima. I saved you from drowning..." What happened to the atmosphere? What happened to him?

"You're a lucky one. I'll be leaving now." He stands up and walks away.

"Wait!" He turns to look back, "Can I least get your name?" Atsushi no, what are you doing?

He pondered for a few seconds, "Akutagawa, Ryunosuke Akutagawa. Goodbye... asymmetrical bangs." He hurries off, not caring for the eyes on his back since he was soaking wet.

That was something I didn't expect at all. Are my bangs really that asymmetrical? He really is something else. He's so... No, no, no, someone like me shouldn't be having these thoughts. Maybe cause I just swam, yeah, I'm just tired, nothing else. Atsushi lets himself fall asleep on the grassy patch nearby. Ryunosuke Akutagawa. I wonder, what are you doing now.

Dazai

As dusk is approaching, Osamu Dazai stands on the railing on the bridge. He was supposed to be solving a case, but an opportunity to commit suicide shouldn't be missed.

The water is calling for me. Finally, I can feel the relief of death. It's such a beautiful day to di- Wait, is that a boy? Is he sleeping or dead? I don't want to die nearby another body, might as well check. Dazai jumps down from the railing and strolls towards the boy on the bank.

"H-E-L-L-O," Dazai spoke sarcastically.

The boy stays still until he seems to have awoken, "Hi?" he yawns as he stretches.

"Just checking if you're alive or not, but you seem fine. What your name?"

"U-Um, I'm Atsushi, Atsushi Nakajima..." Atsushi said quietly, most likely still tired. He seems to be wearing damp clothing. "I guess I can tell you that I've been on the streets for a while." Atsushi stomach rumbled, indicating that he hasn't eaten in a while.

"Maybe I can give you a home and food if you come with me." Wait, what the fuck did I said. I know something suspicious about this boy, but you don't need to keep him. A memory from the past flashed through Dazai's mind. Ah, that's why.

"DAZAI, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!" on the other side of the bank, there was Kunikida. "There you are! You blockhead! We are on an important assignment and you're just here talking to some stranger you found!"

"Oh, hey Kunikida-kun! Did you find any clues? Also, do you have your wallet? I left mine at home!" Dazai shouted across the bank. Kunikida was seemly extremely pissed off.

"Haah? Why would someone like you need money for!" Kunikida said, he was already marching briskly towards Dazai.

"Well, this boy needs some foo-AHGUHJIEWlj"

"ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME DAZAI! YOU NEED TO WORK, NOT PICKING UP SOME RANDOM CHILD OFF THE RIVERBANK!" Dazai was shaken around by the collar by Kunikida as poor Atsushi just watches this strange situation happen.

"Anyways, who is this boy? Does he have any information on the Beast?" Kunikida dropped Dazai, making him sigh with relief.

"This boy is Atsushi-kun, and I was just about to ask him before you came up." If my suspicions were correct, that would make my life easier.

"Umm..."

"Let's get some food first, then we'll talk! Atsushi-kun, what do you want to eat?" Dazai grinned. Kunikida sighed as he wouldn't be able to get through Dazai's head.

"Umm, if it not so troublesome. I would like tea on rice please." he looked so embarrassed just to say such a simple meal.

"Even on the brink of starving to death you ask for that" he chuckled "Very well then. Kunikida! Let's treat this boy with twenty bowls of tea on rice." I need to learn more about his boy and get some information if there is any.

"HAH?!? I didn't agree with paying!"

"You're Dazai, right?" Atsushi asked staring at Dazai as the wind started to pick up.

"Yes, I'm Dazai, Osamu Dazai." This would have been a nice day to have died but instead, I made my life much longer. How ironic.

I've rewritten the first chapter of this story since I was so unhappy about it. Hopes it's better. Thanks for reading! Photo not mine.

Edit2: Bleh :P

Edit2: Decided to merge 1-2 together since they were kind of short.