- xix. missed opportunities

The corridors were rather empty as Arabella made her way to the hospital wing

It was a day after the full moon, so she was on her usual route to go and see Remus.

Peter had spoken to her earlier in the day, letting her know that this was one of his better full moons.
She was thankful for this as she hated seeing him badly hurt. Or hurt in general.

She also tried her best to take his advice, but it was rather difficult to catch James alone.
He was always with Sirius, and she didn't want to pull James away from him.
Mainly because she couldn't face Sirius just yet, it was hard to talk to him- knowing he'd too lied to James this whole time.

She slowly walked into the infirmary to see Remus fast asleep.
He'd been in there for a day now, sleeping off the aftermath of the full moon.

Smiling, she walked towards his bed and placed the hat and scarf- Remus had told her he had too many jumpers now, hoping she'd stop, but instead she found new things to get him- the chocolate bar and the homework at his bed side.

Moving the Sandy brown hair from his face, she got a better look at the fresh scars.
It truly pained her that she couldn't help him, that he was all alone.

Arabella placed a soft kiss on his forehead and as she stood straight, she jumped, not expecting to see James stood a few feet away from the bed.

"Oh um- sorry" she murmured walking towards the exit.

"No it's okay" he nodded.
Arabella walked out of the infirmary- but then realised.
James was alone.

This was the perfect opportunity to talk to him.

She walked back in to see James stood by Remus, pulling his blanket further up and making sure his neck was okay on the pillow.

"I uh, James?" She whispered.

His head shot up and he rose a brow.

"Yeah?"

"Can we talk?"

He nodded slightly and followed her out of the infirmary, extremely confused.
As the left Remus opened an eye slowly.
He checked his surroundings to make sure he was alone, once he realised he was safe he opened both eyes fully.

He looked towards the door, hoping- no. Praying that the pair would be able to fix things now. Properly.

"What's up?" James asked as they stood a few feet away from the door.