Chapter 1: Preparations

"Y/n, have you finished packing yet?" You heard your mother's voice trail from down the hallway.
"I'm getting there..." you replied, grabbing a shirt from a hanger in your closet and carefully placing it into the plastic bin on your bed. Your mom poked her head into your room, and you heard her sigh her disapproval.
"Do I need to hire a whole team of packers for you?" She asked sarcastically. You rolled your eyes in reply, and couldn't help but smile.
"The bulk of the stuff is gone anyways, I'm just finishing off the closet," you said, motioning to the bin. Besides your furniture, your clothes, and a few necessary belongings, the rest was on it's way to Japan. Your mom nodded, and as she turned to leave, she added, "don't forget, the movers come next week to pack the furniture, so try to finish up as soon as possible." You heard her make her way down the hall, and you quickly grabbed your computer, sitting down on your bed. Your eyes stared intently at the screen in front of you, as you explored the website. Tokyo International School..., you read to yourself, and felt your palms get sweaty. You were excited, of course, you had fallen in love with the city at a young age, but living there was completely different than visiting. You clicked on the Pictures tab of the website, when you noticed your phone light up. You reached to grab it, and opened the message you had gotten.
Two more weeks, how're you feeling? The message read, and you smiled to yourself. It took you a minute to read it, since although you were pretty good at Japanese, you were much better at speaking it than writing and reading. You typed a message back, trying to not make any mistakes. You knew if you did, the recipient would have no problem teasing you about it.
Somewhat nervous, but mostly excited. I guess I just believe this is happening!! I still have so much packing to do too... you sent.
Understandable, but you don't need to be nervous, you'll be fine.
You typed your response quickly. Hopefully. What are you doing up so late, isn't it like 1 in the morning in Japan?
Yeah... I should probably get some sleep. Have fun packing :)
You smiled to yourself and sent, that's the worst part of this move. Get some rest though, you don't want to start sleeping in class.
You sound like my mom... but I will, goodnight y/n
Your fingers darted carefully across the keyboard to type your last message.
Sorry for caring 🙄 'night Lev.

You and Lev had known each other for quite some time, but it wasn't just him, it was the whole Haiba family. His mother and your mother had met at college in Europe, and had instantly become friends. From there, his mom decided to move to Japan, and yours to the US, but they never lost contact. Although living that far from each other had been tough, they tried to keep in contact as much as possible. You had visited Japan a few times, and had met both Lev and his sister, but your lack of fluency in Japanese made it kind of difficult. His parents spoke English, but the siblings didn't, but they always offered to help teach you their language. Because of this, you picked it up quite easily, and continued to study it in the US. Although you had only met them a handful of times, you knew they were a very kind family, and you saw how close your mothers were. It had been about six years since you last saw them, which is why the move to Japan came as a bit of a surprise. You were used to moving since you were little, and when your dad was offered a position in his company's Tokyo office, your parents couldn't turn the offer down. Your mom had given you Lev's number since he was your age, in order to get you guys more familiarized and so that you had a friend once you moved. You had been texting for about a week, and he constantly asked about how you felt, which you appreciated, along with his patience in reading your terrible Japanese.