Chapter 13: The Aftermath

"You wait here," Alisa said, looking to see if the coast is clear. "Technically this is a restricted area for spectators, but this is... this is a special case."
"Can't we just wait until they exit the building?" You asked.
"Are you kidding? And give my brother the chance to avoid us? No, I'm going to corner him so he can't get away."
"Isn't that kind of... unnecessary?" You asked, embarrassed.
"Lev can't just kiss you out of nowhere, in front of a whole crowd of people and his friends, not to mention at a volleyball match, and expect me not to react," she said.
"I swear, sometimes I think my brother was born with no ability to think," she muttered.
"I don't regret it," you said quietly. She looked at you and smiled, a glint of amusement in her eyes.
"I know."

*outisde the locker room*

"Lev, get out here now!" Alisa yelled, crossing her arms in front of her chest. The Nekoma team all straightened up, surprised.
"Is that...?" Yaku said, and Lev nodded, annoyed.
"You can't be here!" He yelled back.
"Very funny, now hurry up! Я серьезно (I'm serious)!" She said sternly, and Lev groaned. Although he didn't speak Russian, there were a few phrases he knew, phrases that his mom said. That was one of them, one that his mom used when she wanted Lev to know she wasn't joking, and so he knew his sister meant it.
"Fine, give me a sec," he said, defeated.
"That's what you get for kissing a girl like that at a match in front of your sister," Yamamoto said, laughing.
"Especially a family friend like y/n," Inuoka added.
"You're not helping," Lev said, dreading the storm that was his sister. "I'll meet you guys outside, ok?"
He reluctantly grabbed his backpack, and made his way out. His sister stood there, and when she saw him, she glared.
"You look like you're going to murder me," he joked, but she didn't laugh.
"Are you going to explain yourself?" She demanded.
"Jeez, you don't have to sound so mad," he said, trying to avoid the subject, but she stared at him, eyebrows raised, awaiting an answer. He rolled his eyes and began to walk.
"It felt right, so I kissed her."
"Seriously? You thought your first kiss with her was best to to have after a volleyball game, when you're sweaty, and your friends, sister, and a bunch of strangers are watching? And when y/n was obviously not expecting it? Could you try to be any less romantic?" Alisa said. He was annoyed at how much she was criticizing him, but he could see where she was coming from.
"Ok, ok, I admit it was weird timing, but at least she didn't push me away or start cursing at me," he said proudly. Alisa rolled her eyes, not impressed. She turned down a hall, and Lev stopped.
"Hey, where are you going? The exit is that way." She looked back, annoyed.
"I am going to find y/n so that you can tell her how you feel."
"No way," Lev said, already making his way toward the exit. Alisa was quick though, and she grabbed his wrist, dragging him.
"The worst thing you can do is to kiss a girl, and then make it seem like you don't care. So yes, you are going to tell her how you feel. It might be that you apologize for being an idiot and that you shouldn't have done that, or that you meant the kiss and that you like her. Either way, you're going to tell her now so that she doesn't end up getting hurt." Lev was impressed at his sister's maturity, and he hated to admit it, but if she wasn't here, he would have probably gone with his teammates, not ready to face y/n. He sighed, not sure of what to do next.

*back to y/n*

As you waited for Alisa, you leaned against the wall, still replaying what had happened in your head. You knew you would probably be fixated on it for the whole day, no, whole week, but you didn't mind. You were in a bit of a trance, until a sharp voice snapped you away from your thoughts.
"I thought you weren't interested in kissing anyone in Tokyo yet?" You turned and saw Yun staring at you, his hands shoved in his pocket and a hurt look spread on his face. You had no idea he had been at the match. You didn't know what to say, and felt guilty, because although you weren't into Yun, you still didn't want to hurt him.
"Yun... Lev kissed me," you said, but you knew it wouldn't help.
"You didn't seem to mind it, though," he said, somewhat bitterly.
"Look, I'm really sorry that you're annoyed, but I'm not the one deciding to go around kissing people." And it's not my fault boys, including you, decide to kiss me, you felt like adding, but you decided to keep your mouth shut. Now you were getting annoyed too. I mean, you understood that it must have hurt his feelings to see Lev kiss you, but he couldn't blame you for that.
"Fine, then you tell Lev that you're uninterested in him," Yun spat, and you were surprised by how mean he sounded.
"Seriously? Why does it matter to you, Yun?" You asked.
"You should leave," you heard a girl's voice say, and you turned to see Alisa and Lev behind you. Both of them were glaring at Yun, mouths in a straight line.
"Why?" Yun asked playfully, as if to rile Alisa up. Her face hardened, and you knew she was mad.
"Give it a rest, y/n's obviously not interested in you, which honestly I don't blame her for, because you seem to have the maturity of a child. It's not my fault my brother is a boy with an actual personality, and y/n can see that."
You stood in disbelief, and you could tell Yun and Lev were taken aback too, because you all just stood there. You felt insanely awkward, but Alisa stood her ground, staring at Yun.
"What the hell is your issue?" Yun said, taking a step forward. Alisa didn't back down, and she straightened herself.
"My issue is that you find the need to force yourself onto a girl who obviously doesn't like you."
"Force myself?" Yun said, snickering. "If you want to talk about forcing yourself onto someone, look at your own brother, who kissed y/n in front of everyone and seems to think it's no big deal. Especially since she told me she's doesn't want to get into a relationship with anyone she's friends with here in Tokyo." Yun emphasized the word friends, staring directly at Lev. Lev has been quiet this whole time, but he now stepped in the space between Yun and Alisa, towering over him.
"You sure are full of yourself for a guy who keeps getting rejecting," Lev sneered, and Yun narrowed his eyes.
"At least when I kiss a girl, I make sure it's actually memorable and meaningful," Yun fired back.
"Alright, can we calm down please? This isn't something to fight over," you said, annoyance clear in your voice. You were done with them, the both of them, trying to compete over the kisses. They both looked at you, and then at each other, before Yun let out a breath, stepping back.
"Whatever," he muttered.
"Yun... don't be like that, we're still friends," you said, crossing your arms. His eyes softened a bit when he looked at you, but he still had a cold look on his face.
"As your friend, I was trying to help." He walked away, and you sighed.
Alisa shook her head, still frowning. You and Lev didn't look at each other, and there was an weird tension between you two.
"Well, I'll let you two talk. Y/n, I'll be at the car when you're ready." She said, not bothering to wait for a response. None of you said anything, and you both stood there awkwardly.
"I'm sorry," Lev said, and his face looked embarrassed. You looked at him, surprised that he was apologizing.
"It was stupid of me to do that, I guess I was just from all the adrenaline..." he trailed off.
"Don't be," you said smiling, and he looked up at you, smiling back. Then, his smile fell again, and he looked away.
"What Yun said, about not wanting to... about you not be interested in your friends..."
"Well, I did say that, but it's because I felt bad after he had kissed me," you explained.
Lev looked at you, as if trying to figure you out.
"Do you mean it though?" He asked. You stood silent for a second.
"Lev, the bus is waiting, we've been waiting for you, but we seriously have to go!" You both turned to see Yaku down the hall, looking impatient.
"Coming!" Lev yelled back. You looked at him, figuring out what to say.
"I don't want to ruin our friendship Lev, but no, I don't mean what I said," you said, hoping he understood. You really like Lev, and you knew you wanted more, but you also knew that going from friends to dating would be something new, create a whole new dynamic, especially with your families. Still, you didn't want to keep your feelings to yourself, and you opened your mouth to tell him, but he was quicker.
"Let's stay friends then. It was probably the adrenaline anyways," he said, sounding like he was trying to convince himself.
"Huh?" You said, but he was already headed to Yaku. What the hell? You stood there, mentally slapping yourself. Stupid, stupid. Why would you tell him that you wanted to protect your friendship? Of course he would take it the wrong way. You had only meant that you wanted to keep the same easiness of your friendship if you did admit your feelings, but it hadn't sounded like that. You started to walk to the exit, feeling defeated. Why did you have to be so incompetent sometimes?

*In the building*

"What was that about?" Yaku asked, but Lev stayed silent.
"Did you guys have a fight?" Lev shook his head. Lev knew Yaku was curious, but he didn't feel like explaining what had happened, especially not after they had seen the kiss.
"Don't tell the guys, ok?" Lev asked.
"Ok..." Yaku said, obviously confused.
They got into the bus, where the others were waiting. They were still talking about the kiss, teasing Lev, but he couldn't join in with them.

At home, he went straight to his room, and Alisa followed close behind.
"What do you want?" He asked, unpacking his backpack. Alisa didn't respond, but he felt a pillow slam into the back of his head.
"Why the hell did you do that?" He asked, turning to her, annoyed.
"You might just be the most incompetent person on this Earth," Alisa said, another pillow in hand.
"If you throw that, I will kick you out of my room." Alisa rolled her eyes.
"Listen to me! Y/n told me what happened during the car ride back, and she seemed upset. Seriously Lev? You told her you wanted to be friends? After you kissed her like that? And she made it clear she didn't like Yun? And she made it clear she liked you?" Lev sighed. Alisa really didn't hold back.
"But she said..."
"She said she didn't want to ruin the friendship, I know! But that just meant that she didn't want guys to become awkward with each other if you started dating! Not that she didn't like you!" Alisa was practically screaming, and Lev hoped his parents couldn't hear.
"Actually?" He asked.
Alisa slammed the pillow into her face.
"Oh my god Lev, if you would have just told her that you liked her," Alisa grumbled.
"Hey, I did! It's not my fault y/n worded her answer weirdly."
"In a relationship, clear communication is key, so you're going to have to work on that!" Alisa said.
"Alisa, now I don't know if y/n thinks I'm not interested in her... or if she's over me now.. maybe she moves on quick." Alisa rolled her eyes.
"Trust me, by the way she was talking in the car, she's obviously not just going to forget about you." Lev felt like an idiot now, especially since he had left so quickly with Yaku. He wasn't particularly keen on the idea of expressing his feelings to a girl, but he knew Alisa was right. If he liked her, and if she liked him, then what was stopping them from getting together?
"Look, I can't force you to do anything, but take my advice on this. Y/n is a special girl, and if you do like her, you should tell her, because like we saw with Yun, other guys can tell she's special too."