Chapter 15: Miso the Cat

When faced with a dilemma in life, sometimes the best thing to do is to take some time to yourself to relax, and moreover, to forget. That weekend, you decided to explore a bit of suburban Tokyo, coincidentally Lev's neighborhood, and spent most of Saturday walking through the small streets, admiring the petite houses that lined the road. You circled around the area, purposefully avoiding the block where Lev's apartment was. You breezed past a smaller street, when you heard a voice that caused you to stop. You retraced your steps, standing at the corner of the smaller alley.
"Lev?" You asked cautiously, noticing a tall, dark figure ahead. He turned to you, startled, and placed a finger over his mouth, before motioning for you to come closer. You walked over carefully, wondering why he was acting that way. This is probably the universe's way of telling me to face my problems instead of ignoring them, you thought. Why else would Lev casually be hanging out in a dark alley by himself?
"Why are you here—" you stopped as you noticed an orange cat sitting further down the street. Lev pulled you down beside him, and you crouched close to him. You peered over his shoulder at the cat, confused.
"Are you trying to catch it?" You asked. Lev nodded, inching forward.
"Lev... isn't it a stray? That's probably not the best—" before you could finish your sentence, Lev lunged forward and swooped up the car in a swift motion. He grinned like an idiot, looking like a kid with a big lollipop. You laughed, and you took out your phone.
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"Taking a picture, this is too cute," you replied.
"Who's cuter, me or the cat?" Lev asked playfully, and you blushed.
"I think it's a little obvious," you teased back. You showed the picture to Lev, and you had to admit, the picture was adorable.
"This guy is a neighborhood stray cat, and I always see him on the way to practice. He's let me hold him before, after some convincing, but I think he's still getting used to me," Lev explained. Although the cat was very cute, you knew strays weren't the cleanest animals, so you cautiously pet it. You were surprised by how clean it's fur was, it looked groomed.
"Are you sure it's not the cat of one of your neighbors? Maybe it likes to escape." Lev shrugged.
"Maybe, but I've never seen it with anyone else. My mom doesn't want any pets in the house, so this is like my secret one."
"Then I don't think she would approve of you cuddling with a stray," you said, laughing, and the cat seemed to perk up as you scratched its ears. It started to wriggle in Lev's hand, and when Lev loosened his grip, the car jumped at you.
"Oh, my god," you exclaimed, catching him in your arms. He nestled his head into your sweater, and you cradled it gently.
"Hey, that's not fair. It took me so long to pick him up, and he just voluntarily goes to you," Lev said. You laughed at his comment, and caressed the cat's soft fur. It began to pur.
"I guess he likes me better," you teased, and Lev rolled his eyes. You looked at the cat, already falling for its adorable face.
"Did you name him?" you asked.
"Never thought of it," Lev said. You thought for a second.
"What about Miso? It's a cute name, and his fur reminds me of the color of miso," you proposed.
"Seriously, you want to name him after fermented beans?" Lev joked, and you narrowed your eyes.
"Have a better idea?"
"I'm kidding, I think it's cute," Lev said, laughing.
"You like that name, Miso?" You asked the cat, and as if in response, he purred softly.
"I guess he does," Lev said. You bent down, gently getting to your knees, and then sitting on the ground.
"So you won't take off your heels and walk barefoot when your foot hurts you, but you're willing to sit on the ground of a dark alley if a cat's involved?" Lev said mockingly, and you rolled your eyes.
"Jealousy isn't a good look on you Lev," you said playfully. Lev bent down, stroking the cat, and then sat down next to you, your knees touching. It was oddly calming, sitting next to Lev in a alleway, cat in hand, sectioned off from the other houses. You leaned back, and the cat settled into your lap. Surprisingly, the damp floor didn't bother you in the slightest. Lev and you sat in silence. Maybe it was time to take this coincidence as a sign that you and Lev needed to sort things out.
"Lev... you remember Kenzo, right? My friend from school?" You asked cautiously. Lev nodded.
"He... well, he... he asked me out on a date," you spat out awkwardly, sounding embarrassed. Lev's face clouded over. You didn't want to look at him, so you focused your attention on grooming Miso's fur.
"That's great for you," Lev said, obviously not meaning it.
"I guess, but I told him I had to think about it." Lev perked up slightly.
"Why?" He asked.
"He mentioned something, and I just... wanted to ask you about it. He said he asked you about it, and that you loved the idea, and really wanted us to date." Lev let out a scoff, shaking his head.
"Yeah, I never said that," he said sternly. You smiled slightly, because although you were mad Kenzo would lie so casually, part of you knew it wasn't the truth from the moment you heard it.
"I knew it," you said, meaning to say it to yourself, but Lev heard, and turned to you, surprised.
"I don't think I would have agreed to Kenzo anyway, but this just confirms what I thought. I'm annoyed that he would say that just to try and convince me to go out with him, though," you said.
"He did tell me about wanting to ask you out, but I didn't say I approved or anything," Lev said softly. He was drumming his fingers on his knees, looking mad. You both sat in silence again, and you sighed.
"Are you disappointed?" Lev asked, staring at you.
"Disappointed, yes, but not because I'm into him or anything. I mean, he still is a friend, so it annoys me that he thinks it's ok to make up something like that," you replied. Lev didn't respond, but you heard him let out a breath.
Ok y/n, you can do this, you thought to yourself, and decided it was time to take a leap of faith.
"Lev, I..."
"Text him."
"Huh?" you looked at him, confused. Was now really the time to interrupt your confession?
"You should tell him now, if you're not into him," Lev said, almost desperately. You couldn't tell if he was joking or not, and you giggled.
"Lev, I'm not going to text him," you said, amused, but he stared at you, serious.
"Why not?" he asked, a tinge of hurt clear.
"Because, out of decency I'm not just going to hurt his feelings by text," you explained.
"I doubt you'll hurt his feelings," Lev replied.
"Seriously? He literally told me he liked me, Lev. I doubt he's just going to read my text and forget."
"C'mon, it's fine, he probably won't care. Doesn't he seem like a guy who asks out every girl that has looked in his direction?" You raised your eyebrows at Lev's comment, annoyed.
"I would hope that he was asking me out because he likes me, and not because I've looked at him once," you said, sounding more angry than you actually were.
"It's not that, it's just that guys like him, or like Yun, they get interested in a girl, but once they start dating, they immediately get bored," Lev said defensively.
"Seriously Lev? You think the only reason they were interested in me was for the chase?" Lev didn't say a word, and you frowned.
"Y/n, you're taking it the wrong way. All I'm saying is that guys like these don't really care as much as you may think."
"Lev, no matter if I'm interested in him or not, and beyond the fact that he lied, Kenzo still is my friend. I know him well enough to know he's not like that." Miso began to stir in your arms, visibly agitated.
"Y/n, I get you're friends, but guys are like that. You don't have to be special to get their attention." That definetitly hit a nerve. 
"I know I'm not special, but still, don't put me on the level of being an easy catch. And Lev, you're like the most oblivious person I know. Do you even know how to talk to a girl?" You knew what you said was unnecessary, but saying hurtful things is unfortunately a defense mechanism embedded into human behavior. He looked at you, frowning.
"Just because you got asked out by two guys, doesn't mean you need to become full of yourself," he spat.
"Full of myself? I'm literally defending myself because you obviously have an issue with the fact that two guys happen to like me, which by the way, isn't something I necessarily control." Lev looked forward, clenching and unclenching his hands.
"Seriously, if you have an attitude like this anytime someone tries to help, I have no idea what those guys saw in you..." he muttered.
"F**ck you," you spat, standing up. Miso jumped to the side and scurried away, and you dusted off your pants. Lev didn't say a word, and you sighed.
"...Grow up, Lev." You knew you were being an instigator, but hurt feelings aren't the best motivation for clear thinking. You stormed off dramatically, because your emotions were telling you to do so. The walk home was one filled with anger, regret, self pity, and overall emotional distress. Teenage drama really is an unreasonable whirlwind of saying before thinking, and acting before listening.