Chapter 19: Caught My Eye

The next morning, you woke up to the sound of something banging against the wall. You had planned on sleeping in, and you rolled over in bed, trying to cover your ears with your cover, which unfortunately did little to help.
"What on earth is that sound..." you mumbled to yourself, propping yourself up in bed and looking around.
Thump. Thump. Thump. You realized the sound was coming from the wall that your bed stood against, which was the wall you shared with the room Lev was using. You tried to fall back asleep, but the noise continued, and so you forced yourself out of bed. Throwing on a sweatshirt over your pjs, you headed out your room, slowly dragging your feet.
"Lev, what the hell are you—," you opened Lev's door, and saw him facing the wall, setting a volleyball against it. Your eyes widened, and you stopped mid sentence as you saw he wasn't wearing a shirt. He looked at you, startled, and noticed you staring. You grew red, and quickly looked to the ground, backing up into the hallway.
"Sorry, I should have knocked...," you said, embarrassed, but at the same time mentally drooling over what you had just seen.
"Don't worry about, you can come in," Lev said, and you walked into his room, seeing that he too looked slightly embarrassed.
"What's up?" He asked, twirling the ball in his hand.
"Umm... well I was just wondering what you were doing in here, the noise sorta woke me up," you explained.
"Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't even realize you could hear that," he said apologetically.
"Why are you even up so early?" You asked, rubbing your eyes. You still felt tired, and were planning on going back to bed.
"Y/n, it's 9 in the morning."
"Hey, for me that's early," you said, and Lev laughed.
"Lev, are you up?" You heard a knock at the door, and saw Lev's mom enter the room. She raised her eyebrows, looking from you, to Lev, then back to you.
"Oh y/n..., I didn't realize you were in Lev's room," she said, surprised.
"Y/n was just here to ask me something," Lev explained quickly, and his mom gave him an intrigued look.
"Ok..., I see. Anyways, I just wanted to see if you were up, and let you two know that we're all having breakfast together in 10, and then we're planning to head out in an hour." She reached over to his bed, grabbing a shirt, and tossed it Lev.
"... and put on a shirt, Lev." Lev reddened, embarrassed, and quickly pulled the shirt over himself. Part of you was disappointed that he did that, but you figured your parents wouldn't appreciate you staring at him during breakfast.

Once the tiredness went away, you were actually glad you had woken up early, granted that it was due to Lev's volleyball. Breakfast was enjoyable, much more than the dinner of the previous night, and you prepared to head out to do some exploring for the day. Lev's mom had arranged a plan of things to do in the town. You and the group spent the morning walking through small streets, admiring the traditional countryside architecture, and taking pictures of the neighboring farms and rice fields. You passed by a grouping of houses, and stopped by one that had caught your attention. The windows were lined with mannequins dressed in beautiful traditional Japanese clothing, and you admired them through the glass. One of the mannequins was dressed in white, with beautiful pink and blue flowers decorating the cloth. You immediately fell in love with it, and didn't notice Lev stop behind you.
"It's a traditional kimono shop," he said, pointing to the overhead sign.
"They're beautiful," you said, your eyes still on the white one.
"Do you like that one?" he asked, laughing.
"I love it," you said, admiring how soft the fabric looked.
"What are you guys doing?" Lev's mom asked, walking back to you guys.
"Sorry, I was just looking at the storefront," you said, and Lev's mom peered into the store.
"Looks like they're open!" she said, grabbing your hand and dragging you towards the door.
"Oh, we don't have to—"
"Nonsense! Let's get you to try one on, I'm sure you'll look beautiful. Lev, can you go tell everyone else we're making a quick stop?" Lev's mom smiled at you excitedly, letting you explore the aisles. She began to chat with the store owner, and you browsed through the kimonos.
"We really don't have to do this," you said, your fingers trailing over different fabrics. You felt awkward, with everyones' eyes watching you as you walked around.
"Of course we do! This will be such a great memory for you," Lev's mom said, beaming. Your eyes fell back on the kimono on display, and you walked over to it.
"Could I try this one?" you asked the storekeeper, and she nodded her head, coming to help you take it off the mannequin. She handed it to you, and you smiled, running your hands over it, admiring how soft it felt.
"That's beautiful," Lev's mom said, coming to stand next to you. "Now, go try it on!" the storekeeper led you to a fitting room, and before you closed the door, you heard Lev's mom say, "Lev, you're definitely trying one on too."

You had a bit of trouble putting it on, and you asked the storekeeper for help, wanting to ensure that you were putting it on correctly. Once you were done, you exited the fitting room, and went in front of a nearby mirror, feeling pleased with how you looked.
"You look amazing." You turned around to see Lev dressed in a deep blue kimono, one that complemented his bright eyes and light hair. Lev was smiling widely, his eyes looking you up and down.
"You think?" you said, giving him a small twirl.
"Absolutely," he said, a tinge of a blush clear on his cheeks.
"You look great, too," you said, admiring how handsome he looked.
"You both look very grown up," the storekeeper said, smiling happily at you guys, and you both laughed. You headed to your parents, and they gushed over the two of you.
"Lev, y/n, get closer together, I'm going to take a picture," Lev's mom said, taking out her phone. Lev rolled his eyes, embarrassed, but you happily complied. You and Lev stood close, his hand gently rested on your back, your heads tilted towards each other. The shopkeeper gazed at you guys, nodding approvingly.
"So cute!" Lev's mom said. You headed back to the mirror, admiring the garment.
"Y/n, we should probably get going, go change out of the kimono," your mom called to you, and you were a little sad to have to take it off. You and Lev thanked the shopkeeper and handed back the clothing.
"I'm actually sad to leave it behind," you whispered to Lev.

Exploring the town took up most of the day, and by the time you returned home, you felt exhausted. The weekend went by extremely quickly, and before you knew it, you found yourself on the train, heading back to Tokyo. Your group had spent Sunday morning relaxing, enjoying the countryside air. Returning to Tokyo was bittersweet, but you had to admit, the city had begun to feel like home. You were actually sad to say goodbye to the Haibas once you reached Ueno Station, and the parents promised each other to do something like this again soon.
"Don't forget about me," Lev whispered to you jokingly, making you smile to yourself.