Chapter 2: Arrival

The plane ride to Japan was a calm but exciting one, and you spent the majority of it looking out the window and watching Japanese movies in a last minute effort to improve your conversational skills. Once you landed, you felt your hands grown sweaty and your heart beat fast. Your mom had mentioned that Lev's family would be meeting your family at the airport to pick you up, and you couldn't help but feel anticipation. After all, it had been six years, and you were eager to see how the family had grown. As you made your way through the airport, you heard a voice call out your mother's name. You turned and saw the Haiba family waving at you, and you broke out into a large smile.

The Haiba family were an especially good looking family, both parents were attractive, and their children were works of art themselves. Alisa, Lev's sister, genuinely looked like a model, and had a kind heart, and although she was older than you, she had always treated you as if you were her age. Lev too was handsome, but your memory of his features up close had grown foggy. As you approached and greeted the family, you quickly took note of how he had grown. He was insanely tall, and although you were 5'8 and seen as tall for your age, you appeared tiny next to him. He had become extremely good looking, and had grown into his unique features well. You hoped you weren't blushing as you turned to him and said hi. He gave you a big smile, and you could tell he was also noting your growth. It was incredible how much people could change in six years.
"Hey, y/n," he said, and before you could reply, Alisa had grabbed you into a hug.
"I'm so glad you're here, you're going to love Tokyo!" She exclaimed, and her sweet perfume enveloped you in a warm hug. She reminded you of the older sister you never had, and you happily hugged her back. Once the greetings were done, the group headed towards the parking lot.
"Lev, grab y/n's suitcase", Lev's dad said, and Lev quickly reached for the handle.
"No, no, it's fine," you said, tightening your grip and trying to pull the suitcase away from him, but before you could, his hand was on the handle. His hand brushed against yours as he tried to grab the suitcase, and you quickly let go, letting him pull it.
"Thanks," you said, and he flashed you a grin.
Once you got to the parking lot, Lev's mother turned to you and said, "since we can't all fit in one car, we'll go with your parents in a car and Alisa will drive you and Lev in the other." You nodded, and turned to see Lev already loading your suitcase into the car. He then made a beeline for the passenger seat, but Alisa stepped in front of him.
"Let y/n have the passenger seat, so she can properly see Tokyo," she said, and you saw Lev was about to say something, but one look from his sister made him shut up. He reluctantly got into the back seat, and Alisa opened the door to the passenger seat for you. You smiled in appreciation, and hopped in, excited for the journey ahead.
"So y/n.. are you excited about Tokyo?" Alisa asked, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel.
"A little nervous, but mostly excited. I'm used to moving, but I've never lived in Asia before, so I'll have to do some adapting."
"Of course, but believe me when I say Tokyo is an amazing city it live in. I know you'll love it here," Alisa reassured you. "You're going to an international school, right?"
"Yeah, so I don't have to worry too much about my terrible Japanese at school," you joked.
"It's not that bad, you're actually really good," Lev said, chiming in.
"That's true, I was surprised by how well you spoke," Alisa added.
"Honestly, you probably would have been fine at Nekoma if you had decided to go there," Lev said. You knew Nekoma was his school, but you laughed at the thought of having to go there.
"Don't overestimate my speaking abilities," you said, and was about to add more, but the sights outside distracted you. You had been to Tokyo before, but forgot how much you liked the city. You pressed your forehead against the car window, trying to get a better look at the buildings. Lev laughed, and you smiled. "You forgot what Tokyo looks like?"
"No, just still amazed at how pretty it is," you said, grabbing your phone to take pictures. As you looked around, you felt Lev's eyes on you from the backseat, making you self conscious of how you looked. You had on minimal makeup, your hair was probably a mess from the airplane seat, and you wore comfy clothes, but you knew no one ever looked good while traveling anyways.
You let out a small yawn and rubbed your tired eyes, and Alisa said, "you should try and get some rest, close your eyes and take a nap. It's still a 1 hour drive, and with the long flight and jet lag, you're probably exhausted." Although you didn't want to miss the drive, you felt yourself slowly drifting off. Your head was leaning against the window, and the vibrating of the glass kept you from completed falling asleep. Alisa and Lev must have assumed you were sleeping, because they started to converse quietly. They talked about school, volleyball, and random things, and you tried your best not to smile.

After some time, you heard Alisa say, "can you wake her up, we're about 10 minutes out." Lev didn't respond, but you felt a warm hand lay on your shoulder, slowly shaking you. The gesture made your eyes open quickly, and he retracted his hand and said, "we're close."
You nodded, still feeling droggy, and hoping your eyes hadn't gotten too red. Once you arrived to the hotel, you saw your parents already there, unloading their suitcases with the help of the Haibas. Alisa stopped the car near them and Lev jumped out and went to the trunk to grab the suitcase. You followed, and as you reached for the handle, he pulled the suitcase away.
"Let me get it," he said, smiling slyly, and you hoped you weren't blushing.
"Lev, it's fine," you said, grabbing a side of the handle and trying to pull it away from him. He pulled back playfully and the motion made you almost lose your balance.
"You're going to break her suitcase," Alisa warned, and Lev rolled his eyes at his sister before trying to pull the suitcase again.
"Fine," you said, letting go and smiling, "but only because I don't want a broken suitcase."
He scoffed and dragged the suitcase behind him, following your parents into the hotel. It was already quite late, and the jet lag meant we were even more tired, so after you were checked in, the Haibas decided it was best to let you get some rest. The parents said goodbye, and you waved goodbye to Lev and Alisa. As you and your parents made your way to the elevators, your mom leaned in and whispered, "he's gotten quite handsome, hasn't he?" To which you blushed and quickly changed the subject.