Contractions

Many amateurs have this problem, and it can be very confusing, so don't think you're horrible.

These are some common mistakes:
You're = you are. You're so nice to me.
They're = they are. They're trying to hit me.
We're = we are. We're going to the mall.
It's = it is. It's really hot outside.
Those are the correct uses of the words. And if you put a contraction in a sentence you should be able to replace it with the words it is contracting.
You are so nice to me.
They are trying to hit me.
We are going to the mall.
It is really hot outside.
See?
Now, these are the incorrect ways to use them:
Your so nice to me.
Their trying to hit me.
Were going to the mall.
Its really hot outside.
These are other words that sound the same as the contractions, but they are used incorrectly.
Your- Possessive noun. Your dog turned up in my house.
Their- Possessive noun. Their house is full of boxes.
Were- Past tense of the verb 'are'. We were at the mall.
Its- Possessive noun. Usually used for animals or objects. Its tail is black.

Many - and I mean many - people make this mistake and put another word that sounds the same but is not the contraction.

Also, you aren't supposed to use contractions in formal writing. For example, if you're writing a paper for school you wouldn't use contractions. Or a letter for your teacher or principal. But if you're writing a note to your friend and it said "Let's go to my house after school, I need to tell you something, and you're gonna be very surprised." In that case it's okay.

Hops this helped! Have a great year.
Juli.