Turnabout Sisters: Chapter One

Why in the world had Miles been called out to the office so late at night? And why had he had the audacity to be late? He checked his watch as he reached the top of the stairs and entered the office. 9:30... stupid stupid Miles. He was supposed to be here thirty minutes ago. Normally he was much more punctual. That smell in the air... he had been around enough crime scenes to know the scent of blood. He tried not to panic as he walked into the office that Lana did her work in.

"Sis...!" a young girl knelt next to Lana's slumped figure, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her head jolted up when she noticed that he was there and she started to cry harder. As she tried to stand up, she collapsed to the ground. By some miracle, Miles managed to carry her out to the couch in the lobby, leaving her there while he went back to investigate.

It was upsetting to see his mentor like this, but he had to suck it up and investigate. There would be no other way to know what had happened here on this terrible night if he didn't manage to look around a little bit. He found the murder weapon close to her body. The Thinker... again. Why did she even have this accursed thing? Had Larry given it to her when he zoned out? Let's see... what else? There were shards of glass from some broken light stand and Miles tried to resist the urge to clean it up, ultimately failing. He collected the shards into a plastic baggy. There, now the police wouldn't have to clean it up. He believed he'd done them a great favour, or he was just so much of a clean freak that he couldn't help but disturb a crime scene to clean up shards of glass. Probably the latter. There was also a receipt with the word, name, 'Ema' written on the back of it. Ema...? Why did that name sound familiar? Maybe that girl knew.

He headed back out to the lobby, intending to check on the girl and show her the receipt. She was awake and crying again.

"Sis..." Was she Lana's sister? Miles felt like he vaguely remembered her saying something about having a little sister.

"Pardon me, I know this hard... but do you know who Ema is? I found the name on the back of this receipt." The girl glanced at the small piece of paper as he held it out to her, her hands trembling as she grabbed it from him.

"But this is...! Ema's my name!" She let out another sob, passing the receipt back to him.

"Do you know what this means?"

"No! Why would Sis write my name?!" As she started to cry harder, someone slammed open the door. Great, the police were here. Someone else to deal with the crying girl in the lobby.

"Detective Maggey Byrde, sir! I got a call from a witness! Miss, would you mind coming to the precinct with me?" Miles glanced at Ema as she continued to sob. Having a detective ask her to come to the precinct could only mean one thing... the police thought she had murdered her sister. The detective walked over to him to grab Ema, glancing at the receipt he was still holding.

"You Ema?" the detective asked the girl, Ema quietly nodding as she started to dry her tears, "and you are you?" She turned to Miles after putting Ema in handcuffs.

"Miles Edgeworth, I work here."

"Cool, you're coming with me too." Good god, this is not how he was expecting this night to go.

~~~

He didn't sleep at all that night, he was too worried about who could've killed Lana. Despite that fact, he still went out to the detention centre as early as they would let him. He had to know for sure that her sister didn't kill her.

"Good morning..." Her eyes looked red, she must have cried all night.

"Yes, good morning indeed." It was the exact opposite of a good morning and yet here they were, treating it as if there wasn't a wall of bulletproof glass between the two of them.