Turnabout Samurai: Chapter One

Miles woke up to the sound of his phone buzzing off the hook. He glanced at the clock -good god, who in the world was trying to call him at six thirty in the morning? He answered the phone, Ema's crying instantly coming through the receiver.

"Miles! Something terrible has happened.... Awahhhhh!" He could barely understand her through her crying.

"Ema... it's 6:30, I don't appreciate being woken up like this."

"But... but... it's an emergency!!!"

"Can you wait like three hours until we get to the office?"

"Yes... but promise that you'll hear me out on this one..." She sniffled, probably wiping away her tears.

"Fine... I'll hear you out... when it's a reasonable time to talk about things." Miles hung up on his tiny spirit medium friend and went back to sleep.

~~~

"What was that wake up call about? That was entirely not pleasant." he asked Ema as she finally arrived at the office.

"The Steel Samurai! He's been arrested!" She had been right for once. This was an emergency, "wait, where are you going?" Miles pulled his jacket back on and headed for the door, waiting for her to follow him.

"Where do you think? To the Detention Centre." Ema smiled happily, running after him as he led the way towards the Detention Centre.

~~~

Keep calm Miles... he was not going to be an obnoxious fan, he was here to be a defense attorney.

"This guy definitely did it... murder I mean, at least once... maybe twice." He smacked Ema's arm, trying to get her to stop being so rude. At least she'd been whispering.

"I apologize for my assistant Mister Powers, she can be a little... crass sometimes." Miles glared at Ema and she went to stand in the corner, muttering something to herself about how mean he was.

"Oh no... it's alright... she's probably just disappointed." He sniffed, sounding like he'd been crying recently. From his experience, most people tended to cry in Detention. Ema had cried a lot.

"Do you mind if I ask what happened? I'd like to get a picture of the incident in my head." He nodded, agreeing to tell him about the murder.

"Yesterday... we were at Global Studios for a few run-throughs. We had gone through some action scenes in the morning but there wasn't anything else to do until five that afternoon. But... when five rolled around, we found the Evil Magistrate in a heap on the floor of Studio One. Jack Hammer was inside the suit, dead from having been swkered with the Samurai Spear!" He sniffled again, looking like he was about to start crying.

"Just one more thing... then I should go investigate."

"Does that mean you're going to take my case?" His eyes filled with tears as Miles nodded, "Great! What do you need to know?"

"Your alibi Mister Powers. If you're innocent, you must have one." Oh how he hoped he had one.

"I was sleeping in my dressing room at the time of the murder." Miles jotted that down his notes. He would have to find someone who could verify that at Global Studios. He stood from his seat, preparing to head out to the Studios. And no, he was not going for personal reasons. This was a murder investigation... that's all.

"If you're going to the Studios, I'll draw you a map." He tried his best, but in the end, the map didn't turn out all that good. Miles also asked him to write a letter of recommendation, knowing that they probably wouldn't let them investigate without them first proving that they were his attorneys. He grabbed Ema from her corner and the two of them headed out to the scene of the crime.