Turnabout Sisters: Chapter Three

Of all the people from his past that Phoenix didn't want to stand across from him at that defense bench, Miles Edgeworth was the one that he wanted there the least. What in the world? Why now? Just when he had thought he'd finally be able and manage to throw away the last of those pesky things called feelings, he came along and made him rethink all of his life choices in a single instant. Sure, he'd always said that he wanted to be a defense attorney like his father, but Phoenix didn't think he'd actually do it. On the other hand, maybe he was sort of... glad -he thought that's what the feeling was called- that he had managed to achieve his dreams. Where did that put him then...? Was he happy with his current situation or did he want something better? No, no, don't think about it Phoenix. He wasn't allowed to think about it, he had to be perfectly content all without showing it. He was the emotionless Demon Prosecutor, all emotions were useless things and he had cast them aside a long time ago. He didn't need some... some man to come around and screw up everything he had worked for up to this point.

~~~

"Hey Nick. What's up? Usually you make sure it's a reasonable time here before calling. Did something bad happen?" It was always a relief to hear Maya's voice on the other side of a phone line. She and Mia were the only ones who ever even tried to understand Phoenix and didn't mind him the way he was. Emotionless and bored with life.

"Is it not enough to want to talk to my little sister?"

"Not when you say it in that dull monotone voice of yours."

"Fair... in all honesty I did not call just to speak with you about trivial things."

"I thought as much, you're not much for trivialities Nick." He sighed, he was unable to laugh so this had become his way of acknowledging that he found something Maya had said was sort of funny.

"I called to tell you about the case I'm working on." Now it was her turn to sigh, but with complete exasperation.

"You know Nick... it wouldn't kill you to loosen up a little bit."

"I'm afraid I can't do that... you know that better than anyone. Work talk is easy for me... other types of talk aren't."

"I know, I know. I'd rather hear your voice talk about work and know you're fine than not hear it all and have to worry."

"Right, so this case seemed fairly open and shut until I met the defense."

"OOOOOOO, spill the deets Nick. Who's the defense?"

"Miles Edgeworth. He's pretty much fresh out of law school, but the Edgeworth name carries weight." Maya laughed, the soft sound of her pounding her mattress carrying through the connection.

"Nick! You don't have to worry about a thing if he's fresh out of law school! You won't get beaten by a rookie!"

"Maya... need I remind you who his father is?" She stopped laughing, breathing out a sigh as she no doubt remembered the times that she had wound up across the courtroom from Gregory Edgeworth.

"Nick... he isn't Gregs, he's just a rookie."

"A rookie who probably knows the law better than I do."

"If that was supposed to be sarcasm, I wasn't able to tell. Your voice is so boring." Phoenix knew, Maya, he knew and how badly he wished he was able to change it. But wishes were as useless as feelings and they were thrown away long ago as well.

"Don't worry Nick, you'll win like always and make Mother proud. I should probably get to bed now, have a nice day bro!" She hung up quickly and he shoved his phone into his back pocket, having no further use of the deadweight brick that he carried around. The only reason he even had a phone in the first place was so he could call Maya and Mia could keep an eye on him. Phoenix found the thing cumbersome and hard to use. Deadweight. He sighed as he felt something begin to stir in my chest. This was all because of that stupid Miles Edgeworth, wasn't it? He was unable to tell, he was unaware of myself and the emotions he felt. Or lack thereof.