Turnabout Goodbyes: Chapter Four

"Ema..." She frowned as she realized that Miles was about to scold her, leaping to her feet.

"Hey! Don't get mad at me Miles! I saved your ass in there! You should be thanking me!" Yes, she had saved the trial, but he had plenty of other things to get mad at her about. Specifically what she said.

"Ema... don't ever do anything like again." She sat back down after he said nothing more about it.

"I'm free to go as soon as they finish the paperwork... it shouldn't be too long."

"Good. And now what do we say to the nice defense attorney who's wasting time that he could be using to investigate talking to you?"

"...I'm sorry Miles..." She glared at Miles, upset that he was treating her like a child. If she acted recklessly like a child, she was going to get treated like one, "I won't go to prison ever again. I was just... trying to help you..."

"As long as you realize that your actions were extremely reckless, we're good. I'll come back to pick up later once the paperwork is done." Ema nodded and he stood from the chair, preparing to go investigate Gourd Lake some more. There had to be something there that was overlooked... something that they had missed that could give us an advantage in tomorrow's trial.

~~~

He wandered down the well trimmed paths of the Gourd Lake Nature Park, bumping into Detective Byrde -literally- as she emerged from the bushes, covered in leaves and other various foliage. She spat out an arrangement of sticks and dirt, rubbing her mouth as if she was trying to get a horrible taste out of it- which in all honesty, she probably was.

"What were you doing in there Detective?" She looked around widely for where my voice had come from before her eyes finally landed on him. She seemed extremely disoriented.

"I... don't know. I was over at the place where that weird lady was camping looking for more clues but then I thought I saw a friendly squirrel in bushes and I chased after it... and now I'm here!" She paused for a moment, seeming to be trying to remember something, "oh! Right! I want to thank you for your hard work at today's trial! I've seen anyone stand up to Prosecutor Fey like that before! It was truly impressive!"

"I-uh, thank you Detective."

"Watch your back tomorrow too! She's got another witness! But... I can't tell you who it is... as much as I'd like to. You get it right pal?" Miles nodded, the feeling of not being told something important was an all too familiar one for defense attorneys.

"That's right... yesterday when it thunderstormed, you said you were worried about Phoenix. I've been wondered ever since then; is he afraid of thunderstorms?"

"Oh yes! Extremely! He... doesn't talk about himself often, but I know that fear, as well as his career, originates back with that incident. Poor Mister Wright..." DL-6... again. This case was intertwined with that fifteen year old case and the evidence seemed to twist them together even further.

"Right... thank you for telling me."

"Now if only I could figure out where I am... I have to get back to the precinct and get that report on Ema. I want to get her out of that awful place as soon as I can." Detective Byrde glanced around, searching for any way to exit the park, running towards the entrance as soon as she realized that it was right in front of her.

"Wait... Detective, how much is the bail going to be?" She turned back around, giving him a bright smile.

"Don't worry about it! Mister Wright already posted the full amount!" She ran off, waving goodbye to me. Ah well... he should probably go back to the Detention Centre and get Ema. By the time he got there, she would be free to go.