Turnabout Samurai: Chapter Seven

"Ema you alive?" Miles poked Ema's shoulder, shaking her awake from her slumber.

    "Yes... how'd the trial go?" He frowned at her, likely upset that she hadn't at least come to watch and support him. Well sorry Miles, but watching television is far more entertaining than court, especially if she didn't get to be his co-counsel.

    "About as well as any trial against Phoenix Wright can go... I managed to buy an extra day by some miracle," He sighed, collapsing down on the couch next to her, "I'm dreading having to investigate today... tomorrow will be the last day of the trial so I have to find something or else I'm doomed."

    "Well why don't we go talk to Powers? He might be able to tell us something." Miles nodded, sighing as he stood up from the couch. Ema followed him eagerly out the door like a loyal little dog.

~~~

    "What do I know about the director, the producer and Mister Hammer? Well... Miss Vasquez came around about five years ago and saved the studios from the brink of disaster. I think Mister Manealla was a minor straight to video director until Miss Vasquez told him he had talent and hired him on the spot. I don't know much else... but I have heard rumours about Mister Hammer and Miss Vasquez." Powers had turned out to be not helpful at all.

    "Miles... we should go to the Studios. Maybe some there can tell us more about these rumours." She hoped it was something good, she liked a nice and spicy rumour.

~~~

    "Hey pals!" Ema screamed as Maggey walked up behind her and greeted them loudly, breathing a sigh of relief once she realized that it was just her friendly neighbourhood scruffy detective.

    "Detective Byrde." Miles bowed his head in greeting to her, he was always so much more formal than she was and thank god for that. She could never be all uptight like him, just wasn't in her.

    "Ah right, I wanted to tell you something pal! They found Hammer's fingerprints on that weird little bottle and now I'm here to test these plates for traces of sleeping powder!" Maggey saluted Miles who sighed and shook his head in exasperation, "if you like, I'll let Miss Ema do it!" Ema nodded, perking up at the mention of being able to test something for chemicals. She may have been a spirit medium, but she had always held an interest in forensic science ever since Lana had given her a book about it. Maggey smiled as she turned to her, ecstatically happy that the plate had turned blue, telling them that there had been sleeping pills on it.

    "I should go report this to my bosses and Prosecutor Wright, see you later pals!" Ema waved goodbye to Maggey as she headed off, stumbling on a broken grate as she was distracted. She caught herself just in time, giving her a thumbs up as she balanced on the tips of her toes to keep from falling over. Miles didn't seem amused but she found Maggey delightful... she was always excited to do her work and always greeted us with a smile on her face. It took a lot of strength to be able to do that all day, every day.

~~~

    "I'm really grateful to you guys, as well as that hot girl from yesterday, for defending WP, but I'm afraid it will all be for naught... even if he is declared not guilty, Global Studios is ending their children's programming." Penny sighed, adjusting her glasses and staring at the ground. What? She couldn't be serious?!        "They can't!" Ema grabbed that bright blue scrapbook from Miles -which he was still carrying around for some reason- and shoved it in Penny's face, "think of all the kids like Cody! They'll be sad to see it end! It means a lot to them!" Penny pondered it for a moment, before smiling and wiping a tear out from under her glasses.

    "You're right... I have something I can tell you about Miss Vasquez, though I don't know much."

    "Please tell us Miss Nichols, anything will help." Penny smiled again, nodding and sighing as she began to talk.

    "Mister Hammers had been working on a movie... over in Studio Two, which had been brand new at the time," certainly didn't look brand new to me, if they hadn't used it since, it should have been at least halfway nice looking, but it wasn't, "apparently, someone died... the other actor he was working with I believe. I don't know much more other than that Miss Vasquez managed to keep it all very hush hush. You should ask Oldbag if you want to know more, she was around back then." Miles shivered at the mention of the security lady, sighing as he realized what he would have to do. She dreaded the thought of having to talk to her again too, but at least Miles would be doing most of the talking so there was nothing for her to worry about.

~~~

    "Ma'am, we'd like to ask about the incident from five-" Miles was cut off by the old lady as she let out a monstrous screech.

    "Hammer did nothing wrong! Nothing! How dare you accuse him of stealing the Steel Samurai costume?! I trusted you Edgey-poo! Show me proof! I demand proof!" Ema snickered at the nickname, Miles wapping her on the back of the head and glaring. She got that he didn't like it, but man was it funny!

    "Here's your proof ma'am." He showed her the small glass bottle that had once housed sleeping pills as well as the plate which was still a little bit blue. Oldbag sighed, looking truly defeated.

    "I'll tell you everything... Five years ago there was an accident... a fatal accident. What's worse, the paparazzi took a photo of it. That photo, well, it caused quite a stir. And guess who made it all better? Vasquez! She has ties to the mafia... She silenced that paparazzi. That was the beginning. After that, she became a force to be reckoned with here at the studio. But poor old Hammer did nothing wrong! It was only an accident!" She ran over to the security station, rifling through a few things before running back with a picture in her hands, "here you can have this Edge-poo, it's the picture that man took... please expose Vasquez for what she really is... for poor Hammer's sake." Oldbag seemed so sad... she must have really adored Mister Hammer. Ema almost felt bad for her. Almost.

~~~

    "Miss Vasquez please look at this photo." Miles showed her the photo of the incident, finally managing to get some sort of reaction out of her as she gestured for us to come inside the trailer.

    "You made Jack Hammer work for petty change on kid's shows because of that incident! You're nothing but a dirty old blackmailer, just like Redd White! All of because of one stupid little accident!" Ema couldn't help herself, the words came tumbling out of her mouth before she could stop them. Miss Vasquez gave her a pointed glare, placing a hand on her hips.

    "Accident? You think it was an accident? There's no way Hammer would have let me run his life over a simple accident. No honey, it was intentional... he killed that man on purpose. Hammer was a murderer, that's why he let me run his life. Now boy, please give me that photo." She reached out a hand, gesturing for Miles to give to her. This woman was nothing but a dirty liar! Ema hoped she would rot in prison once they exposed her tomorrow!

    "I'm sorry Miss Vasquez, I'm afraid I can't do that. This photo is valuable evidence." Vasquez snapped her fingers and a bunch of mafia looking men instantly swarmed in, surrounding them.

    "Do what you do best boys... erase away." However, before they could do anything, Maggey slammed open the door, practically knocking it off its hinges.

    "Hold it! I heard everything and you, Miss Vasquez, are coming down to the precinct with me!" Thank god for Detective Maggey Byrde. She shooed away the scary looking mafia men despite how much smaller than them she was. She was Ema's new hero, "You alright?"

    "Yes! Yes! Thank you Maggey!"

    "Don't mention it! I was just doing my job! OOOO, I've always wanted to say that line! I've got to go now! Stay safe pals!" Maggey bid them adieu again, almost tripping down the stairs as she led Vasquez away. So clumsy... how had she even managed to become a detective? Yet... Ema was grateful that she had managed it. She would probably be six feet under right about now if it wasn't for her. And what use was a dead spirit medium? Vasquez's motive was now clear to them and Ema was sure Miles would agree that she deserved to be taken down tomorrow in court. Let's do this thing!

A/N: If you have any requests for extra chapters, please hit me up either in the comments or just DM me!