Turnabout Goodbyes: Chapter Seven

Ema paced around the defendant's lobby like a child who was waiting to get scolded by their parents, practically wearing a hole in the floor and shocking everybody she accidentally bumped into. Noticing the almost sad expression on Phoenix's face, patting him on the back, the man jumping when she shocked him. She apologized and stumbled back, bumping into Miles as she did so.

"Ema... I think you should go outside. Try to discharge for a while." She nodded sadly and ran out of the room, bumping into Detective Byrde as she entered.

"Hey... I just wanted to you that we caught the boat caretaker. He's all ready to go to testify! Obliterate his testimony in there pal!" It felt good to have the support of a detective on his side for once, even if it was a detective as bumbling as she was. Today was the day he was going to find Phoenix innocent once and for all.

~~~

"Court is now in session for the last day of the trial of Phoenix Wright. Are the defense and prosecution ready?"

"The defense is ready , Your Honor."

"... the prosecution is... ready..."

"I see, um," the judge was shocked into silence by Prosecutor Fey's immediate response to his query. Miles, too, thought it was strange. She'd never been this cooperative before, "the prosecution must submit decisive evidence today, seeing as it is the final day of proceedings. Your opening statement?"

"With thanks to Detective Bryde's hard work, the boat shop caretaker has been brought back before this courtroom. Yesterday, the defense made wild accusations that he was the real killer, but the man himself has to confirm this. The defense may cross-examine as much as they wish," she paused as the witness made his way to the stand, "I'm sure we all remember Mister Boat here. He witnessed the murder from his boat rental shop, where he lives. In addition, he has no recollection of his name or identity. Please begin your testimony."

"Er, I'm really sorry about just leaving yesterday like I did. But, I wasn't running away or nothing. I, uh, went to buy some food for Polly, see... I figured I got nothing to do with this incident anyhow. Er... I mean, I'd need one of those "motive" things, right? And I don't got one." This was so annoying. This man was lying about everything. He knew he was and he knew exactly what he was doing.

"That's a blatant lie! You have everything to do with this case! Don't try to avoid it any longer!"

"What are you going on about Mister Edgeworth?" The judge looked at Miles like he was crazy... but who cared. He was only doing what he had to.

"Your Honour, this witness remembers his name... he's been lying to us this entire time!"

"If he's been lying... please tell us what his name is Mister Edgeworth."

"Why, Yanni Yogi, of course. It's the logical explanation. And if he is Yogi, then he has a clear motive in this case!"

"And how do you intend on proving this Mister Edgeworth? You have no evidence..." Prosecutor Fey chuckled softly, shaking her head at his accusations.

"Check his fingerprints, that should be more than enough proof." Prosecutor Fey chuckled again, smirking.

"That's not possible Mister Edgeworth. The witness has no fingerprints... they were burned off in a chemical accident at his previous job. You're out of luck there," That was ludicrous! Who would go that far just to cover up their tracks?! Someone clearly hadn't wanted to be found, "I suppose you're going to put forth some other crazy notions. What do you want to do Mister Edgeworth? Cross-examine his parrot?" She laughed, clearly joking, but it might be the only chance he had. It was a long shot and absolute crazy... but he would do what he had to to save Phoenix.