Rise From the Ashes: Chapter Eight

Miles sat alone in the defendant's lobby, tapping his foot anxiously against the floor. Today was the day that was going to end it all, whether the verdict was good or bad. For Phoenix's sake... he hoped that it would turn out alright.

"Miles... don't look so sad... everything will be fine..." the man in question ran a comforting hand through Miles' hair as he entered the room, tilting his head up so he could look him in the eyes, "there is one problem... that last ID number... it belongs to Chief Gant. If it's proven in there that it belongs to him... we'll lose our last lead and Mia will be doomed. The only reason the verdict was suspended yesterday was because there was still doubt on who it belonged to... but now that doubt's been erased. As soon as that doubt has been erased... I'll be able to call for a verdict. I need you to tell me that she's not guilty, Miles... I need you to do the work that I can't because of my position. Can you promise me that Miles?" His hands were cold as he pressed one to his cheek. He must have just come in from outside.

"Phoenix... your sister isn't guilty. I swear to you that I'll uncover the truth about the SL-9 incident and make Mia confess the whole truth. And what about you? Do you intend to help me?" He sighed, leaning down and pressing a quick peck to Miles' lips.

"I'll consider it... but who knows what will happen once we enter that courtroom." He glanced at the door before turning back to me with a small smile on his face. That was the look of a man who intended to find out the truth... no matter the cost or how much it hurt him.

~~~

"Ladies and gentlemen of the court. I have a small proposition to make," the orange-clad, perpetually dusty man once again made an appearance in the fine courtroom number nine and Miles had to resist the urge to reach up and clean the dust off his glasses right away, "I request that Ms Fey be the first to testify today." So the fireworks show was starting early today, huh? The judge agreed to his request immediately and Mia Fey was summoned to the stand.

"Your Honour... there is no need for this farce any longer. I am completely and utterly guilty. I forfeit my right to attorney and request that you cast your verdict down this instant!"

"B-But... Ms Fey. Ahem.. very well. My verdict for this case is-"

"OBJECTION! Your Honour! I haven't fully proven that this defendant is guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt! There must be something happening behind the scenes for her to confess so suddenly like this! I request to have Pearl Fey called to the stand to testify about what she saw during the SL-9 incident!"

"OBJECTION! No! You can't Nick! Leave Pearly out of this!" Ms Fey practically screamed at her brother, her eyes begging him to just let it all come to an end. Phoenix refused to make eye contact with his sister, turning his head away from her. They both had so much pain in their eyes... Ms Fey's dark brown eyes pooled over with emotion as she begged for him to leave their cousin out of this trial, while the ever stoic Phoenix and his gorgeous multicoloured eyes -Miles had never understood why he tried to hide the fact they were two different colours, he for one, found it stunning- remained viligant in his attempts to hide his emotions from the world.

"Overruled Ms Fey. Bailiff, please bring Miss Pearl Fey to the stand." The tiny girl walked over to the witness stand, her hands shaking as she gripped the strap of her bag.

"Pearls... please testify about Neil Marshall's murder." Phoenix's voice softened as he talked to his tiny shaking cousin, who's own voice was barely above a whisper as she began her testimony.

"I had been waiting for Mia in her office tha night when Mister Dark ran in and took me hostage. Mister Marshall arrived soon afterwards to help me. I was knocked to the floor as they began to fight. I saw Mister Darke raise his knife and stab Mister Marshall! It was dark, and lightning flashed at the exact moment that it happened, burning it into my memory forever! I don't remember much else besides being questioned by Mister Goodman later... I was too rattled to talk to him, but I remember drawing him a picture." A picture? Probably in black and white due to the circumstances that she drew it on... and on whatever paper they had available. Miles pulled the folded evidence list from the day before out of his pocket, smoothing it out so he could get another look at the drawing on the back. With Pearl's description of what happened, it seemed pretty clear to him now that this was the drawing that she had done for Goodman.