Chapter 5

That evening I walked back to the Cave with a smile on my face. Matthias had agreed to teach me to "fight with my hands", as he said. I told him I could also climb really well. He just shook his head and smiled, mumbling something under Jo's breath. I had no idea what he said, but I smiled anyway, and kept walking.

Ace was standing by the fire staring off into space. I knew he wouldn't talk to me, but I went to stand by him anyways, and Matthias followed. Ace didn't seem to notice.

"What do you think you're doing," he mumbled, tossing another stick into the fire. Then he reached over and grabbed something from behind him. "Here," he said, handing it to me "just keep yourself busy, okay?"

I grabbed the old thing from his hands and dusted it off. It had a front and back cover, and little pieces of paper in between. "What is it?" I whispered to Matthias.

"It's a book, silly, " he said, "haven't you ever seen one before?"

"I don't think so."

I opened up the front cover and flipped to a random page. The words were faded, and the page was torn, but I could still make out the poem.

He who fights and runs away,

May live to fight another day.

But he who is battle slain,

May never fight again.

"What does it mean," I asked, to no one in particular.

"It means exactly what it says," said Pierce, walking over to sit by the fire. "But the true meaning you have to find out for yourself. We all did."

I looked around, suddenly realizing I was never alone. I felt so safe here. So I rested my head on Matthias's shoulder, and slowly closed my eyes.