Chapter 11

I watched in utter fear as Matthiias came charging towards me, his eyes red thunder. He tore at the walls like a caged animal, screaming and running at me. I had no escape.

"You must die. You must die. Look what you did to me!"

My tongue swelled inside my throaght and I let out a silent scream. Suddenly my instincts came back. This wasn't an enemy. This was my friend. I could get this out of him. Looking through his eyes again, I saw something else. Fear.

"You must st die," he said again.

"You can't hurt me," I countered dodging his first blow. He tackled me to the ground, ripping at my hair. I wasn't afraid.

"You're a coward!" I shouted. "You go after me, because you're too afraid of them. Can't you see. You're just a coward."

"Stop saying that!"

He punched me across the face, now having me pinned to the floor.

"You're just a coward."

Suddenly a change overcame him. He stopped where he was, our faces almost touching. His burning eyes slowly sly faded, changing from fiery crimson to piercing blue. He rolled off me with a sigh.

"You're right," he whispered. "You're absolutely right."

He grabbed his forehead and winches in pain, noticing his bleeding arm for the first time. "Ah, why can't I just fight back!" He looked at me. "Why can't I?"

The silence stretched longer, but I had nothing to say.

"You see, they have this poison ," he continued. "It's a poison for the mind. They brainwashed me, New Girl, and I was strong, I could resist it. It works on me for a few minutes, but then it stops."

He pushed himself up to a sitting position and looked through the crack in the ceiling. It was twilight.

"We have to get back to Ace," he whispered. His face turned white, creating a huge contrast with his jet black hair. "They know my weaknesses. They can read me like a book, Adelia. We have to run."

I followed his gaze to the hatch in the floor where I had snuck up before. It was our only shot. Matthias had already cleared the way free of bars in his rage.

"Let's go."