Let Me Sneak Out the Back

Haven was not what Hammer had expected. The air nearly crackled with energy, it made Hammer itch to do magic, to tap into that energy and perform complex powerful spells that he hadn't been able to do since leaving the coven 2 years before.

Magic requires energy, typically Mages used their own or a reserve they had created-like a battery. For spells that required more energy storms helped but nothing was more powerful than the energy of people in heightened emotional state. The coven would often gather for ritual celebrations or orgies to create the energy needed for such spells.

Hammer was standing next to the bar speaking to its owner, Camelia, about the business he was about to open when he felt an involuntary shiver run through his body. Camelia, a tiny Indian woman, smiled off to the side and moved to embrace the woman approaching them.

He looked to see who had drawn Camelia's attention and felt his eyes widen, taking in Cecilia. Her red/brown hair was in a ponytail, impossibly thick and reaching down toward her waist, it moved as she moved, swaying gently as she walked. She was wearing artfully ripped tight jeans and an oversized grey sweater with a skull graphic.

He smiled as he took watched her come near. She looked comfortable and Hammer itched to find out just how comfortable she really was.

"CeCe, my love," Camelia purred, "how is my favorite wolf?"

Cecilia's eyes flicked toward Hammer, who felt the tips of his ears heat up with a blush. Not only had she caught him ogling her, but he was also certain he'd just heard more than she wanted him to. A persons Fae species could be a very private thing, it could reveal strengths and weaknesses that they might not want a perfect stranger to know.

"Trying to escape Cam," She quickly hugged the smaller woman, then gestured over her shoulder, "he showed up again."

Camelia clicked her tongue disapprovingly, shaking her head, "Typical, wanting what he can't have, not taking no for an answer. Do you want me to ban him, my sweet girl? I will if you ask."

"No," Cecilia smiled at her friend's heart-felt display of loyalty. "He'd ban the whole pack; it could put you outta business."

Camelia smiled and purred with laughter. "The pack is a large part of my clientele."

"Just let me sneak out the back, I'll make a run for it."

"He'll be able to track you easily," Camelia frowned a wrinkle forming as she thought.

"I'll take her" Hammer wasn't sure what he just said, why he said it or what was even happening, but he did know he wanted to spend more time with Cecilia.

Both women faced him, Cecilia looked shocked and appalled, Camelia- delighted. Camelia looked at Cecilia a mysterious glint in her eye.

"Perfect, his scent will mask yours. Hammer can take you home after a nice drive, you can show him around town, win-win."

"Franny told you?" Cecilia asked, her eyes narrowed at the tiny woman in front of her who was practically preening with joy. Camelia nodded quickly, her eyes flashing a bright yellow.

"Fine," Cecilia muttered, clearly not happy. "I know better than to argue with you. Let's go Steinson."

She turned and went to a door behind the bar. Hammer stuck his hands in his pockets and started to follow her shaking his head at the fact that she still was using his last name. At least she didn't say mister this time.

Camelia unlocked the door and let Cecilia through, as Hammer started follow, Camelia grabbed his arm and looked up at him. He looked down at the tiny bar owner one eyebrow raising.

"Shes stronger than she looks but not as tough as she acts."

Hammer wasn't sure how to respond, why did Camelia feel the need to tell him this. He opened his mouth to ask what she meant when Cecilia shouted down the hallway at him.

"If were doing this start moving your ass Steinson."

Camelia chuckled and gently pushed him through the door, shutting it behind him. He moved forward to where Cecilia was waiting holding open a back door to the outside. They walked in silence to the parking lot. Hammer stopped next to his bike.

"So, where's your car?" She looked around as if she would be able to tell which was his once she spotted it.

Hammer smiled and grabbed the helmet from the handlebars of the bike. He put the helmet on her head and sat on the bike, "You coming or not, A Chuisle?"

She stood still for a moment, and Hammer started to feel very unsure of his actions. He opened his mouth to say something, anything to break the tension he was feeling, when Cecilia sighed audibly and climbed on the back behind him.

Shes done this before. Hammer could tell from the way she moved that this wasnt her first time on a motorcycle. Cecilia slides her arms around his waist as he started the bike and Hammers heartbeat against his chest.

Calm down, don't crash.

"Where to ma'am?"

"Go to the tower, up the mountain." Her arms tightened around his waist and Hammer revved his bike to life, driving into the darkness.