I Never Thought About Consequences

"Maybe I should just go home." Hammer said to himself as he sat on his bike, looking at the helmet in his hands. He was dreading having a conversation with Cecilia, but he knew she was not joking when she said she would hunt him down. He knew he could hide his scent from her if he wanted, he still remembered how to make the masking potion, but he didn't want to do that, it felt wrong, and that potion one of the things he regrets most in his life.

He slid the helmet onto his head and started his bike, heading towards Cecilia's shop and home. He was so lost in his thoughts he didn't notice the tall, lean, black-haired man down an alley in the shadows, leaning against a building, smoking and watching him intently.

When he pulled up to the Victorian house, he saw Cecilia standing on the porch, talking to a small man with delicate features and shoulder length green hair. He wore a loose shirt with an open back allowing for a pair of gossamer wings in varying shades of green that came from his shoulder blades.

The fairy smiled playfully at Hammer as they passed each other on the sidewalk, his wings fluttering briefly. Cecilia smirked at Hammer as he got closer.

"Looks like Pierre likes you Steinson." She crossed her arms and leaned against the column of the house's porch.

"It's still difficult to get used to seeing so many different Fae species." Hammer said, turning to watch Pierre start to flutter his wings and take flight.

Cecilia's smirk faded to confusion, "How long have you lived here Steinson?"

"Maybe 6 months, but I spent 5 of those building my house and the last month setting up my business so I haven't had much time to see the city." Hammer shifted from foot to foot, "I knew this was a Safe Haven town, that is why I choose it, but I haven't spent much time with anyone really."

Cecilia shook her head at his obsessiveness, he seemed to get a one-track mind about things.

"Why choose a Safe Haven? Why not a Coven?"

"I guess that has a lot to do with my past. I'm sure you are aware it is not normal for Mages to leave their coven. We're a very private people."

Cecilia smiled slightly and held out her had to him.

"Come inside Steinson, let's talk."

Hammer reached out and put his hand in hers, her warm hand settled into his and she gently tugged him into the house. She led him into the main room and to one of the loveseats. He sat down resting his arms on his knees, rubbing his hands together nervously. Cecilia sat next to him, her back on the arm rest, her legs curled under her.

"So, tell me what's wrong. Why are you avoiding me?"

Hammer was struggling internally; he wasn't sure if he should tell her everything. He didn't know how she would react to his past, but maybe it was time to let it out and face the music so to speak. She had trusted him with her history, he should return the favor.

"Before I tell you everything A Chuisle, I need you to try and stay calm. "

Cecilia looked confused, clearly unsure of where this might be going. "Alright, I'll do my best but I gotta say Steinson, you're making me very nervous."

Hammer nodded, "I understand. I'm not trying to make you anxious. I just, I'm ashamed of my past."

Hammer dropped his head into his hands, pulling at his hair. With a breath that seemed to shake his entire being, Hammer decided to tell her about what he had done and the things that made him a terrible person. As he started to speak Cecilia could tell he was letting his guard down as his slight accent started to thicken slightly like he wasn't trying to hide it anymore.

"I was born into a very conservative coven, I'm sure you can tell from my accent I am from across the ocean."

"You shouldn't hide it Steinson." Cecilia replied, stretching out her legs so her feet rested on his lap. "It suits you and I'm sure it must be exhausting trying to hide it all the time."

"You're right," Hammer laughed lightly. "It does get tiring. My Grandfather and Father were the leaders of the coven and were very traditional. I never met anyone who wasn't a mage until after I was 26. My whole life was about magic, studying it, learning it, pushing its limits. I had such an unbridled enthusiasm for knowledge, I never thought about consequences of what I was doing."

Hammer glanced at Cecilia, trying to gauge her emotions. He was trying to ease her into this, hoping to keep her calm, the last thing he wanted was to have to face an angry Alpha Wolf.

"Mages start their apprenticeships at 10 and I learned all I could, I excelled at potions and magical tool. I was the best at creating new potions, enhancing magical properties of things and inventing magical tools."

"What kind of tools?" Cecilia asked, curious. She understood the potions, it explained his shop, she had no doubt that the shampoo they had gotten which said it strengthened and thickened hair, would do that, on a magical level.

Hammers shoulders shrugged, "All kinds of things. I've created charms that when you wear them, take the kinetic energy of movement and stores it for use in spells later. Pendants that will create a protective shield. Magic requires energy. The things I created helped to reduce the amount of energy required to do magic. I studied everything I could. Research and invention, those are my specialties, I have never been strong at defensive or offensive magic. They tested me to be a battle mage and the instructor set me on fire. Hammer snorted at the memory of his abysmal attempts at battle magic."

"When you reach 22, you go through a ceremony to Graduate from an apprentice to mage." Hammer unbuttoned his shirt and showed her his pentagram tattoo. "We receive our first magic infused tattoo. This one represents my advancement to mage and can be used as a magical focus. It helps me use less preparation during spells. After my ceremony I was given so much freedom by the coven leaders"

Hammer paused, he was even more nervous now, this part of the story was where everything could start to fall apart. He stood up and started to pace. Cecilia's eyes tracked him, she could smell his fear and anxiety.

"They told me they were impressed by my unique views on magic. I was encouraged to study anything I wanted and occasionally they would come to me with specific ideas. Not long after my ceremony I was approached by a council member who wanted to me finish work on a specific potion, a masking potion."

Cecilia's eyes narrowed, worried she knew where this was going, but she could also see his distress and regret at what he was staying. He stopped pacing and looked out the window, into the dark.

"I didn't know at the time there was a threat growing in the Coven, too lost in my own world I guess" He shook his head, "I finished the potion and gave a batch of it to the council member to test."

"What is the point Steinson?" Cecilia tried to keep her voice neutral and calm.

"The point is Cecilia; I'm the reason mages were able to hurt your family." He turned back to her, his face conveying his fear and regret. "I'm the reason you lost your pack."