I Promise Not to Get Murdered

Franny's wolf^^^^

A low whine brought Hammer out of his thoughts and into the present again. He looked up slowly and smiled softly at the large red and brown wolf in front of him.

Cecilia's wolf sat back on her haunches; her head tilted slightly to the side. Her fur was damp, as if she had gone swimming.

"Hey there." He leaned his guitar against the side of his house, smiling at the wolf in front of him.

Cecilia stood and walked up to him. Hammer chuckled when she nuzzled her large head under his chin and pressed her cold nose into the base of his neck taking in his scent. Hammer rested his cheek on the top of her head, slowly stroking her fur.

"I didn't expect to see you tonight A Chuisle. I thought you'd be running all night." He sighed, releasing the tension he had been feeling all night. "I am relieved to know you are safe."

Her tail beat against the wood of his deck. She pulled back and nudged her nose along his face, wiping off a tear he hadn't realized was there. She whined again, pressing closer to him, rubbing her head against him.

"I was thinking about the last time I saw Ali. He saved my life, and I don't know what happened to him. He was putting himself in so much danger."

A howl interrupted him before he could say more. Cecilia's head snapped around; her eyes focused on the tree line. Several moments passed before Oscar stepped out of the tree line pulling up a pair of shorts. A pure white wolf by his side. Cecilia immediately stood and went to meet the two in Hammers yard.

She bumped her head into Oscar's chest with enough force to make him stumble before nuzzling the white wolf, tucking it under her chin. Cecilia was quite a bit bigger than the wolf, at least a foot and a half taller.

Oscar and Cecilia stared at each other for a moment before Cecilia growled softly and jogged into the woods where Oscar had appeared, her ears perked forward and tail low. Hammer was finding it easier to recognize when they were speaking through a mind link.

"What's going on Oscar?"

Oscar sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm not certain just yet Steinson. Let me ask you this first, do you smoke, specifically in the woods back there?"

"No, I don't smoke, never cared for it or what it does to my internal balance." Hammer replied frowning slightly, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I came to get Cecilia back to the run. The pack came close to here and she broke off to visit. A few yards back I noticed something odd. There was a lingering scent of cigarettes, and the ground was disturbed, like someone has been hanging around in that spot, repeatedly."

Oscar ran his hand through his hair and scratched his cheek, "I couldn't scent anyone else, so if it's not you."

"It could be anything," Hammer stated, "We can't just jump to conclusions."

"I don't like it Sampson." Cecilia said, coming out from the trees. Where she had found a dress, Hammer wasn't sure. "It's too much of a coincidence."

"What coincidence?" Hammers head tilted slightly to the side; his expression confused.

"Both times I was at your shop I've noticed the same man smoking across the street, watching. I didn't think too much of it, it was likely that he worked in one of the other stores. But now.....I'm not sure. You shouldn't be alone until we figure it out, just in case."

"I don't need a babysitter, Cecilia." Hammer crossed his arms, his tone irritated, "I can defend myself."

"That is not what I'm saying Sampson. I'm just saying you'll be safer if someone is with you."

"How is that any different?" The air around Hammer started to thicken with tension. The white wolf whined suddenly, bumping her head into his hand, rubbing against his side, ears flat against its head and tail between its legs.

The tension dissipated as all three looked at the wolf. Cecilia took a deep breath running a hand down her face.

"I'm sorry Franny." She whispered.

"Cecilia, please don't worry about me. You need to finish your run with the pack. I have spells laid out to ward my home. I can activate them as soon as you leave, and I'll be safe. He stepped close to her, cupping her face in his hands, I know it is in your nature to be protective, but privacy and isolation is in mine."

Cecilia stared at him until she finally sighed deeply, "Fine, but if you get murdered, I'll kill you."

Hammer laughed pulling her into a hug, "I promise not to get murdered."

"We should go Alpha." Oscars deep voice pulling them from their moment.

Cecilia looked over and nodded, "Go ahead, I'm right behind you."

Oscar inclined his head in their direction, "Alphas."

He quickly stripped and shifted into a large golden wolf. The white wolf yipped happily rushing over to rub against his side. Both wolves left into the trees together.

"Why is he calling me Alpha?" Hammer mumbled, slightly confused.

"I have a lot to explain." Cecilia laughed, "Another day though. I need to go before the pack starts to think the new Alpha is as bad as the old one."

"Enjoy your run A Chuisle."

"Always," Cecilia pulled him close once more, "be safe."

"Always." Hammer replied, stepping back as she removed the dress and shifted. She bumped her head against his stomach before turning and sprinting into the woods.

Hammer crossed his arms over his chest, dropping his head back to look at the night sky, thinking about the implications of what had been said. He didn't notice movement from the trees a few yards back as a dark-haired man climbed back down to the ground.