Chapter 6: Kline Wullmont

To the North of Overland was the sea, to the South, the entirety of Ferenor. Because of its elevation, one could see the city in its fullness. The Westbottoms to the South, the Noble District to the East, and the Common District in between. Overland was home to the Royal Estate, the residence of the royal family. It was also home to Overland Hall, the meeting place of the High Council met.

The High Council was still comprised of the Wullmont, Tielly, and Izzet houses. But along with them, Vicar Alaine, Captain of the Vanguard Royale and Thomas Siln, Lord of Coin, had joined.

But still, the head of The High Council, was of course, King Wullmont. He ruled over The Realm with the High Council's advice. Governance of Miriela's Kingdoms was further delegated from the High Council to each Kingdom's Head House, ensuring that the former kings still retained a lesser form of rule. The Head Houses were to carry out the will of the High Council, and govern their people under the laws of Kline Wullmont. With the unity of The Realm at hand, the High Council held the fates of Highland, Oaksguard, Kessex, and Cranst alike. But while the Council held great power, they faced an even greater challenge, rebuilding Miriela.

It had been months since Kline had seen the dead Mirielan bodies floating West past his ship. But it was still seared in his mind. He had made the High Council aware as soon as he had returned. And they too now shared in his worry that another Great War was soon to be upon them. And so they planned, day and night, to ready The Realm.

The King had fallen asleep in his study, preparing for his meeting with the Council. The study was hidden in the corner of the King's chambers, an excellent place for solitude. He still had not seen Rebecca since returning from his ride to the Grounds, to behead Kadrin Redford. Queen Wullmont was as a tall and thin brown-haired woman. In her youth, her beauty had caught the attention of a younger Kline. But her beauty had now begun to leave her, and so had Kline's interest.

"Hello Kline," the Queen said with a flat face, as she stood on the chamber's marble stone balcony. A warm breeze swam through the Queen's hair and gently tossed the balcony's awning about. The sounds of servants working below in the garden, rose to reach the chambers along with the chirping of bluebirds. Kline did not respond to the words of his wife. He was in a rush to gather what he needed for the High Council meeting, and his mind was elsewhere.

Rebecca came in off the balcony to join him. "I haven't seen my husband in a day, maybe two, I have lost count. It would be nice to at least be greeted. I've given up on being loved, but being acknowledged still seems a fair request," Rebecca remarked.

The king stopped from shuffling around through his drawers and shelves. He turned to face his wife, her face pure and pale, her hair dark. She was indeed still beautiful, any man could see it, any man but Kline. He saw nothing in her eyes but anger and contempt. The woman he called his wife, he hardly knew.

"Hello, my Queen." Kline took Rebecca's hand into his, and brought it to his lips. His hands swallowed hers as his dry crusting skin caressed Rebecca's smooth palm. "Careful, Kline, or you may give the impression of being a caring husband," Rebecca said.

Kline dropped her hand from his and began to search again. He had, somewhere amongst his things, a scroll. And written on the scroll was a map. Kline had wished to discuss the trade routes of export during his meeting with the High Council.

"What is that you search for, Kline?" Asked Rebecca. "I may have seen it. Though I am seldom in our chambers, seeing that whores commonly accompany you to bed these days," Rebecca jabbed towards the king.

"A scroll. A scroll to bring before the High Council. But it's no business of yours. Don't the children need tending to?" The King responded.

"The children will be fine. The Royal Servants are with them. They can keep them entertained long enough," The Queen said. The awnings still flapped in the warm breeze, as it howled across the balcony.