Chapter 34: Kline Wullmont

The vineyard was still. It was safer to travel to Tasilmire in the night, when the rest of Ferenor was fast asleep. If the King was seen leaving the city in the light of day, nothing good would be assumed. Kline preferred to go unseen, his intentions were best left unknown by most.

It was only the faint sounds of Giddeyal and Odwin at work that usually welcomed Kline to the vineyard. But those sounds were nowhere to be heard and as Kline approached Tasilmire, and he knew something was different.

Kline followed the path from the Old Road towards the vineyard. He passed Giddeyal's house and continued North to the forge. Yet, the forge sat accompanied only by the darkness which surrounded it. Neither Odwin, or Giddeyal were anywhere to be seen. Kline had told Giddeyal just days before that he would soon return to confirm that Odwin was dead, it seemed that his demand had been met.

The air kissed his skin. Like a cold whisper against his ear, it sent chills across Kline's skin. Kline left the forge and walked to the door of Giddeyal's home.

The small wooden house stood like a sturdy keep, in the light of the moon. Nothing but darkness surrounded it, and the thought of entering it felt almost too terrifying to bare. Something wasn't right, and Kline feared what he may find on the other side of that ragged wooden door.

He marched up the small set of steps and pressed his rough hand against the splintered front door. "Giddeyal?" Kline called as he stepped in. The house seemed to be in normal condition. A half drunken pot of tea sat on the table and the lasting embers of a fire danced in the fireplace.

"Giddeyal?" Kline called again. Only the creaking house and wild winds responded. But there was more to be searched. A dark hall dared Kline to venture down it. With each step, the darkness grew, and an inescapable angst bellowed within his gut.

Near the end of the hallway was an open door. Moonlight reached through and climbed into the hall. Kline cracked the door open further, and peered into the moonlit room.

Amongst the white lit floors and walls, red splatter decorated the room. A pale, stinking body, lay open at the throat near the bed. Kline came to Tasilmire expecting to find someone dead, but not Giddeyal Ayson.

He quickly searched through the house, for any sign of Odwin. But the boy was nowhere to be found and Giddeyal was dead in the room where Odwin slept. The angst in Kline's stomach churned his blood through his veins, as he thought of Odwin's escape. And Kline couldn't help but wonder if he would share the fate of Giddeyal.

The house was empty, and the vineyard was quiet. It seemed the slaves had learned of their master's death as well, for the slave house was also empty. Kline was unsure of what to make of Odwin's escape. It seemed there was little that could be done. He had lost from his control the one who was prophesied to crush cities and make kings kneel before him. For the first time in his kingship, Kline truly desired the council of others.

There was only one other who knew of the boy. Thomas Siln was the only option for council that Kline had. And so, Kline left the vineyard and went West for the Noble District, to speak with Lord Siln.

It was still a silent hour of the night when Kline reached the home of Thomas Siln. The white house stood tall amongst the other homes of the Noble District, each more lavish and elegant than the last. He stumbled his way through the dark to the front door.

Kline tapped his closed fist against the door and waited. He tried to remain as discreet as he could, but his patience wore thinner each second he waited for Thomas to answer.

"Kline?" Thomas asked as the door slowly crept open. His eyes were hardly opened and the look of a deep sleep still sat heavy upon his face. "What could possibly bring you to my home at this hour?" He continued.